Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Period Drama Costumes Tag

Miss Elizabeth Bennet is having a Period Drama Fashion Week over at her blog Elegance of Fashion.  If you love the costumes in period drama you will enjoy this event.

One of the things she posted is this period drama costumes tag.  Most of these questions were difficult for me to answer because it meant making a choice from dozens of favorite costumes!

Which costume in all the period dramas you've seen is your favorite (list up to three)?
Anna’s gorgeous white ball dress from Anna and the King 1999.
Catherine’s riding habit from Northanger Abbey 2007.
Victoria’s gold post-coronation ball dress from The Young Victoria.

Which period drama costume vexes you the most (list up to three)?
Although I haven’t seen the whole movie, Caroline Bingley’s Netherfield Ball dress from Pride and Prejudice 2005.  I detest that dress!!

Which period drama hat or bonnet do you like the best?
The bonnet Elizabeth wears when she goes with the Gardiners to Pemberley (Darcy’s famous swimming scene), Pride and Prejudice 1995.

What costume would you wear today if we could wear period drama fashions in this day and age?
Any of the day dresses from Sense and Sensibility 1995.

Do you notice historical inaccuracies in the period dramas you watch or do you just ignore them for the most part?
I usually notice historical inaccuracies.  How much they annoy me depends on how major or minor they are.

Pick a period drama character. If you were designing their costumes for a new adaptation (or a new episode), how would you go about designing their costumes?
This question is actually easy for me to answer: Marguerite Blakeney.  I’ve always wanted to see a Scarlet Pimpernel production that got Marguerite’s dresses right!  (And her hair color, but that’s another story.)  I would start with the books.  Baroness Orczy did a wonderful job of describing many of Marguerite’s dresses.  I would so love to see these come to life on screen!  Then for her other dresses, I would look at the costume history of the period, keeping in mind what Orczy says about Marguerite being a fashion leader and adopting the Empire fashions ahead of everyone else in England.

What's your favorite fashion era? Why?
The Empire/Regency era.  I just love the classically influenced fashions, the high waists, the simplicity of the day dresses balanced with the gorgeousness of the court and evening gowns, the simple fabrics, the sumptuous fabrics.  I just love it all!

Which period drama has the best costuming? The not-so-great costuming?
Best costuming: Pride and Prejudice 1995 and The Scarlet Pimpernel 1982 (despite the fact that they disregarded what Baroness Orczy said about Marguerite’s dresses, it is chock full of stunning Georgian gowns).
Not so great: I’d have to say Pride and Prejudice 2005 again, even though as I said earlier I haven’t seen the whole movie.

Miss Melody Muffin

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for answering my tag!

    I thought your answer about Marguerite Blakeney's dresses was interesting. I haven't read any of The Scarlet Pimpernel books and have only seen the 1982 version all the way through, but I found it interesting how you said that you would incorporate the Empire fashions in Marguerite's dresses.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.