Sunday, August 26, 2012

Quote of the Week: John Newton

I'm inaugurating another new feature on my blog!  Every Sunday I'll be posting a 'quote of the week'.  Sometimes it will be from literature, other times from famous or not-so-famous people.  This week's quote comes from the man who inspired the world with his song, 'Amazing Grace'.


 "I am not what I ought to be - ah, how imperfect and deficient!  I am not what I wish to be - I abhor what is evil, and I would cleave to what is good!  I am not what I hope to be - soon, soon shall I put off mortality, and with mortality all sin and imperfection.  Yet, though I am not what I ought to be, nor what I wish to be, nor what I hope to be, I can truly say, I am not what I once was; a slave to sin and Satan; and I can heartily join with the apostle, and acknowledge, "By the grace of God, I am what I am."
John Newton

Have a great week!

Miss Melody Muffin

2 comments:

  1. I've always liked that quote. I think it is my favourite next to Martin Luther's "Here I stand, I can do no other."

    I am glad you like both the Marcher and Singur 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, Martin Luther's famous words. I love them too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.