Saturday, September 15, 2012

Favorite Characters Challenge Tag: Part One

Kathryn started this tag and tagged me ages ago and I finally filled it out!

It was VERY hard (nigh impossible!) to choose only four favorite heroes!  I have so many!!  But here are just four.  Someday I will do a post listing all of my favorite fictional heroes and heroines, but I warn you it will be VERY long!!!

Still frame from: The Scarlet Pimpernel

1. The Scarlet Pimpernel AKA Sir Percival Blakeney
Unquestionably the greatest hero in literature.  Ever.  He is best portrayed onscreen by Anthony Andrews in the 1982 film The Scarlet Pimpernel, and second best by Leslie Howard (above).

File:Olivia de Havilland and Errol Flynn in The Adventures of Robin Hood trailer.JPG

2. Robin Hood. 
The best archer to ever draw breath in Merry England.  That is until Legolas Greenleaf came along.  What?  Legolas isn't English?  Oh, then Robin Hood keeps his title of best archer.  :)  IMO, Errol Flynn's is the best portrayal of Robin Hood to ever hit the screen.

File:Errol Flynn in Captain Blood trailer.JPG

3. Captain Blood
He's brave, resourceful and chivalrous; he's a pirate with an unbounded imagination for escape plans, he is passionately in love with a women who scorns him and he has a charming Irish accent.  What's not to like?  And by the way, Errol Flynn is Captain Blood (as well as Robin Hood).  Period.

Still frame from: The Scarlet Pimpernel

4. Marguerite Blakeney
I must do one heroine to balance this post out, but who to choose?  Ah, yes, Marguerite Blakeney.  Yes, she didn't understand Percy at first, but after she figured him out, she did everything in her power to make it up to him.  She passionately loves him.  Even when she wishes he would stay with her instead of risking his life, deep down inside she understand why he does it.  And, she becomes a member of the League and has to help out now and then!  My favorite screen portrayal of her is in the 1982 film, by the terrifically talented Jane Seymour.  Merle Oberon, (above) also does a fairly good job.

Next up: my four favorite fictional villains.

Miss Melody Muffin

5 comments:

  1. Oh, good characters, Miss Melody! Sir Percy is the most epic character ever. 'Nuff said. :)

    I didn't recognize #3, Captain Blood. What movie is he from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fell in love with TSP at a rather early age - I don't know how many times I read the book before I saw any movie versions, but unfortunately it resulted in me being disappointed with all movie versions. :P I think I must have had the book memorized or something. LOL Actually Douglas Sills is the only one I've seen who fits the description of "six odd foot of gorgeousness, as represented by Sir Percy Blakeney, Bart." And I'm pretty sure that's only because his "Into the Fire" gives me chills. :) I dislike what both movies and musical have done to poor Marguerite, though... :P It just really annoyed me that they changed the whole backstory behind how she and Armand were tied to Chauvelin and the revolution.

    Okay, Captain Blood is definitely one of my favorite movies. :D Yeah, the Irishness gets me every time. XD Soooo much more awesome than something like Jack Sparrow... lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Sir Percy!!!! I watched the movie with two of my friends and we giggled sooo hard. It was so grand.

    I agree with modern scientists. They SHOULD have been working on the hover car!!

    I too never thought of a baby hedgehog as a pet. Now I don't think a pet could be better, except for my Indiana. He's pretty fantastic

    Allons-y!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kiri,
    Captain Blood is from the 1935 film Captain Blood. It was Errol Flynn's breakthrough role, as well as the first of his eight movies with Olivia de Havilland. I strongly recommend it. It is an EPIC movie. :) And the book is of course, better than the movie.

    Katherine Sophia,
    Oh yes, LOVE Into the Fire. Yeah, the whole Chauvelin and Marguerite thing is kind of silly.

    I agree! Captain Blood beats Jack Sparrow all hollow, IMHO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGosh, yes for Robin Hood and Caption Blood played by Errol Flynn. Doesn't Errol Flynn act in the best parts?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.