Monday, September 10, 2012

Of Les Miserables and Goals

As most of you who read my blog know, I am in the process of reading Victor Hugo's massive, 1,465 page tome Les Miserables.  I started it at the end of July and until today still was only a third of the way into it.  I breezed through the action parts but when it came to the scores of pages of description before the dozen or less pages of action, well, I lagged.  I did consider skipping the descriptive chunks (I've done it before, when reading James Fenimore Cooper) but then decided that was rather cowardly.   :)

Then, this morning I decided it was time to knuckle down and FINISH the book.  Not only because I want to see the full anniversary concerts, but also because it is unheard of for me to take this long to read a book (I mean over a month?  Good grief!) as well as the fact that I have a couple hundred books on my 'to read' list (and more being added all the time) that I won't let myself read until I'm done with Les Mis.  So, right before I went to wash the breakfast dishes, I scribbled out a quick schedule.  You see, I decided I want to finish the book this week.  And that means I have to read approximately 200 pages a day.  Yes, you heard that right.  Two hundred pages of Victor Hugo a day, from now until Friday.  My sisters think I'm crazy.  (They aren't keen on Les Mis anyway.  Do you suppose it might have something to do with the fact that I go around singing the songs all the time... and they don't like that kind of music?)  :)

I accomplished my goal for today, and read a total of 217 pages today.  I've just finished the part where Marius gets kicked out of his grandfather's house.  Tomorrow I officially meet the Friends of the ABC!  I'm eagerly looking forward to it!  (I say 'officially' because I skipped ahead and read some of the students' scenes several weeks ago.  I just couldn't wait.)

As I type this, I am listening to the students' songs from the Broadway cast recording.  While he doesn't have the passion Ramin Karimloo has in the role, I really enjoy Michael Maguire's Enjolras!  His voice!!!  I do like baritones!  Oh, and by the way, I prefer Hadley Fraser's Drink With Me to Anthony Crivello's.

If I reach my goal, I will watch the 10th anniversary concert on Saturday.  Do you think I can do it, my friends?

Miss Melody Muffin

7 comments:

  1. You can do it, you can do it! Three cheers and a tiger for you in tackling such a big project! DYING to see your take on the 10th concert... *happy sigh*.

    Ooh, yes, Michael Maguire does have an excellent voice even though he's not my favorite Enjo. And definitely, Hadley Fraser is MUCH better at Drink With Me than Anthony Crivello. Plus, he looks more like Grantaire (much younger, for one thing-- but then most of the cast in 25th are).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm completely confident you can finish the book this week. I'll be rooting for you states away, and admiring your courage for trying to get through it.
    Les Miserables is one of my top favourite stories, even if I've never read the book. Still, a Fantastic story, very wonderful. I love Val Jean, and Marius. And I LOVE the musical!!! I got to see it once, it was amazing.
    Anyhow, I hope you have fun with your week of reading 8-D

    Allons-y!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw the mention of Michael Maguire...I love his voice. Hope he starts singing again now that he is a Lawyer. Have been waiting for some music mention of him. The 10th Anniv recording was where I first heard Crivello,Maguire, Wilkenson and Michael Ball. I have followed their careers ever since and have heard some pretty fantastic singing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tsk, tsk, over a month! JK :) But I know how that is... before college I read probably at least a book a week at least, besides the ones I was always re-reading. Now... :P I have about 7 textbooks I have to basically memorize this semester. :P

    Haha, you too skipped some of JFC's description! XD Which books of his have you read? There was a while where I was completely in love with Pathfinder - edited to my taste, of course. lol

    Wah, if I could sing, I would totally go around singing Les Mis songs. :D

    Ufda, though... 200 pages a day... Eh, barring emergencies and unforeseen circumstances, I'm sure you can do it! :D Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ALL so much for your encouragement! I'll keep you posted on how I'm progressing in my goal.

    @Amy,
    So far, I'm on track for watching the concert on Saturday! If there is time, I'll see the 25th too, but it will probably have to wait until Sunday or later.

    @Jack,
    You got to see the musical once?!!! I do envy you! Where did you see it?

    @Unknown
    It would be wonderful it Michael Maguire started singing again!

    @Katherine Sophia,
    It used to be I never had an unread book on my shelves. And now, I have over a dozen. Life has a way of intervening and sometimes I cannot even MAKE the time to read.

    I've read The Last of the Mohicans and The Pioneers. I liked both of them, my edited versions anyway! =) The Pathfinder is on my reading list, but hasn't made it near the top yet.

    I'm really hoping I'll have this single week without 'unforeseen circumstances.' But, that is probably too much to ask of life, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you can do it! :) I know you well, and you can definitely do it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.