Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2012 – Looking Back

And now for a look back at the past year, and a look ahead at the coming year!

2012 was a rough year in many ways for me.  There were some life lessons and spiritual lessons that were really brought home to me– some of them the hard way.  ):  I went through several disappointments (our computer crashing for one).  But these lows were balanced by many thrilling high points.

  • I had the incredible experience of starting a personal blog and meeting many wonderful friends.  Girls who share so many of my interests and who have introduced me to new ones.  
  • I took part in several lovely blog parties and a few book tours. 
  • I went to a local museum and saw their exhibit on The Treasures of King Tut's Tomb.  For this Ancient Egypt nut that was a dream trip!
  • I took my plunge into the wonderful world of the books of J. R. R. Tolkien.  I read The Hobbit twice and also the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  (I'd known of him, just not read him before.)
  • I watched the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy.  Even though Peter Jackson made some unforgivable changes to the story and characters; his casting, sets, scenery and costumes were PERFECT.
  • I met the marvelous characters of BBC's Merlin (though I do not wholly recommend the show).
  • I read Jessica's book Annabeth's War.  (And loved it!!  Review to follow sometime this month.)
  • I have two of Kendra's books downloaded and they are next on the 'to read' list.
  • I read Victor Hugo's magnificent tome Les Miserables (encouraged by several of you, thank you!).
  • I saw the 10th and 25th anniversary concerts of the Les Miserables musical (and yes, I promise reviews are coming sometime!  They are still in draft- and have been for months....)
  • I met the Avengers and the characters of Thor.  And discovered that I actually like those superheroes!
  • Through the blog world I was spurred to watch Doctor Who.  The fantastic Nine, quirky, brilliant Ten, and geeky Eleven.  And all the companions: hilarious Donna Noble, smart Martha Jones, the amusing, sometimes clueless Mickey Smith, interesting Captain Jack, terrific Rory and Amy Pond, spunky River Song, delightful Sarah-Jane – my second favorite... and my absolute favorite, Rose Tyler.  (Again, there a a few things in this show I cannot recommend.)
  • I attended the wedding of a dear friend.
  • I had a fun sleepover with the aforementioned friend.
  • Another dear friend had her first baby.
  • And a delightful shopping trip with this same friend.
  • I watched The Phantom Of The Opera with Ramin Karimloo as the Phantom, Sierra Boggess as Christine and Hadley Fraser as Raoul.  Wow.  Only Les Mis beats it.
  • Beta-read for some Blogger friends.

I want to say a giant THANK YOU to all of the people (and John the hedgehog) who have followed my blog and commented over the last several months.  You all make blogging a beautiful experience!!

I don't really do 'New Year's Resolutions'.  However, I do have a long list of things I hope to accomplish in 2013:
  • Do more of my Three R's- reading, writing and riding horses.   Specifically:
  • Read at least 2 books a week.
  • Read at least five Dickens novels, beginning with A Tale of Two Cities.
  • Read every unread novel in the house.  Currently that includes several westerns and some of my sister's Grace Livingston Hill novels (they are generally boring and very predictable but I usually read each one once, just because).
  • Finish the first drafts of the first books in the Quara and Three Kyngdoms series by May.  
  • Write a story with four of my sisters.  We worked on plotting it today and I'll post more about it next week, hopefully.
  • Post more regularly on here.
  • Watch at least one movie or episode of a TV show a week.  Including:
  • All the TV/movie adaptations of Jane Austen's books that I haven't seen that have been made since 1980.  (Except Mansfield Park 1999.)
  • Watch The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and Les Miserables 2012
  • Get to know many fellow bloggers better.
  • Not stress as much.  ( I have a HUGE stress problem.)
  • And of course, try to be a better person!

I think I'm going to make this list a tab at the top, and keep it updated through the year.

Looking at this list, I guess it is pretty ambitious, but you never know if you can do it all until you try, do you?

And one piece of good advice I want to keep in mind for this year is, "One is always more sorry for the things one didn't do, than the things they did do."


Miss Melody Muffin

1 comment:

  1. I've a friend who would be deeply envious of you getting to see King Tut. She is planning on studying Archaeology, in fact, and is a huge geek when it comes to Egypt. Actually, she has a blog if you are interested. http://heathernicoleknisley87.blogspot.com/

    I hope you can conquer the stress, that is a hard one to do so. I hope this year is more relaxed.

    Sending my love,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.