Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Third Annual Literary Heroine Blog Party

My answers to the delightful Literary Heroine Blog Party questions.  Go HERE to join in the fun, today is the last day!




 1.  Introduce yourself! Divulge your life's vision, likes, dislikes, aspirations, or something completely random!
I am the eldest girl and second child of twelve, I am a huge literature and drama geek, love BBC shows, costuming, horses and wouldn't be anywhere but for the saving grace of the Lord.  A random fact about me: I love reading The Black Stallion as much now as I did when I first read it at the age of seven or eight.

    2.  What, to you, forms the essence of a true heroine? 
A person who is strong-willed but not too stubborn, one who takes care of those she cares about and who might be scared to death, but goes ahead and does the right thing anyway.

And somehow, I haven't managed to put this into words very well.  Ugh.

    3.  Share (up to) four heroines of literature that you most admire and relate to. 
I'm horrid at picking favorites!  Buuuuttt....

Rebecca of York  (Ivanhoe)
She is brave, skilled in healing, not afraid to help people despite negative consequences and nobly hides her own love for Ivanhoe, knowing they can never be together.

Elinor Dashwood
She and I are very much alike.  We both are sensible (well, I am most of the time), hide our feelings well and don't let our hearts run away with our heads.

Princess Flavia of Ruritania
She doesn't have a happily ever after ending, which is sad, but she does her duty.  As someone to whom duty is second only to God and my family, I've always admired her.

Elizabeth Bennet
Who can't love Elizabeth?  I share many character traits with her as well.

    4.  Five of your favorite historical novels? 
Since all of my five favorite novels are historical fiction: The Scarlet Pimpernel, Ivanhoe, Captain Blood, Robin Hood, Pride and Prejudice

    5.  Out of those five books who is your favorite main character and why? 
This is hard !!!  But I have to say Sir Percy Blakeney.

    6.  Out of those five books who is your favorite secondary character and why? 
Sir Andrew Ffoulkes.  He is the BEST lieutenant a person could ever have.

    7.  If you were to plan out your dream vacation, where would you travel to - and what would you plan to do there?
Well, I'd start out in London where I would go to Westminster Abbey and then see Les Miserables and The Phantom of the Opera in the West End, then I would travel to Scotland, Ireland and Wales and see famous landmarks like the Giant's Causeway and also as many of the magnificent castles those lands boast as possible.  After that I would visit Paris and spend a month there.  Next would be Italy, where I think I would be content to spend a year, seeing Rome, Venice, Naples, the countryside, and oh, immersing myself in studying Italian.

*Sigh*  Yes, people, I dream big.  Do any of you want to come along?

    8.  What is your favorite time period and culture to read about? 
Anything from ancient history to WWI.  :)  If I have to narrow it down- my favorite periods are Tudor England and 1790-1820 – the French Revolution/Empire/Regency era.

    9.  You have been invited to perform at the local charity concert. Singing, comedy, recitation - what is your act comprised of? 
I would recite Sir Walter Scott's Lochinvar.  I taught this to my younger sisters years ago and actually started to write a play based on it.  (Said play is actually still around, waiting for me to dust it off, revise it and finish it.  Someday....)

    10.  If you were to attend a party where each guest was to portray a heroine of literature, who would you select to represent? 
Hmmm, Rebecca of York or Elizabeth Bennet.  Or Maid Marian.  Maybe Elinor Dashwood, although I'm darker-haired than I always imagined Elinor to be.

    11.  What are your sentiments on the subject of chocolate? 
It is delicious but I'm not as attached to it as most women are.  :)  (Caramel and butterscotch taste just as good to me.)

    12.  Favorite author(s)? 
Sir Walter Scott, Jane Austen. Rafael Sabatini, Georgette Heyer, Baroness Orczy, J.R.R. Tolkien, Shakespeare... can you tell I'm horrible at picking favorites?

    13.  Besides essentials, what would you take on a visiting voyage to a foreign land?
My five favorite books and a cloak I could wear to conceal my identity now and then (purely for fun and because I've always wanted to).  I consider a bunch of notebooks, pens and my computer to be essentials.

    14.  In which century were most of the books you read written? 
The 19th century.

    15.  In your opinion, the ultimate hero in literature is… 
Sink me, Sir Percival Blakeney of course!

    16.  Describe your ideal dwelling place. 
An old castle that has been refurbished for modern living but still has secret passages, long hallways, balconies and amazing architecture.  That's not too much to ask, is it?

Of course, cleaning the place; well, that is a different story!

    17.  Sum up your fashion style in a short sentence. 
Classic, simple elegance.

    18.  Have you ever wanted to change a character’s name? 
 I can't think that I ever have.

    19.  In your opinion, the most dastardly villain of all literature is... 
Well Chauvelin and Guy of Gisborne are pretty bad, but I think worst of all would be Sauron from Lord of the Rings.

    20.  Three favorite Non-fiction books? 
(Besides the Bible) Lyons on Horses, Dover's History of Costume, Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther

    21.  Your duties met for the day, how would you choose to spend a carefree summer afternoon? 
Swinging in a hammock reading or writing, since it would probably be too hot for riding where I live.

    22.  Create a verbal sketch of your dream hat - in such a way as will best portray your true character. 
Millinery is not my strong point.  But, let's see... a dark purple felt tricorn with gold trim on the edges, decorated with white cockades and a long, full veil of the same dark purple floating behind.

    23.  Share the most significant event(s) that have marked your life in the past year. 
My baby brother was born, a good friend was married, another dear friend had her first baby and I started this blog!

    24.  Share the Bible passage(s) that have been most inspiring to you recently.
Proverbs 30:5
'Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.'


Miss Melody Muffin

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful post!

    The refurbished castle sounds like perfection itself (with a maid or two;), and Lochinvar! That's brilliant!

    So glad you joined in!
    --Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5) You didn't answer the 'why'.

    7) Good thing dreaming is free....unless you get caught doing that when you should be....um...minding the baby or correcting someone's math. =D

    11) Seriously!! And you're my daughter!

    13) Ummmm, like, what about clothes?? Don't you consider those to be essential??

    16) Really glad dreaming is free for this one!! First the place, then the cleaning crew!

    22) I can so totally see this....and on you!

    24) Thanks! I needed this one! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love reading The Black Stallion as much as I did when I first discovered it at the age of 7. Such a delicious book.

    And Here I Stand is great! Have you ever read Kitty, My Rib, a bio of Luther's wife Katerina von Bora? Really excellent as well.

    Nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, fun! :D I really enjoyed reading your answers!

    The Black Stallion was one of my favorite books for quite a while...I actually want to reread it soon... :)

    I like your answer to #2, I do!

    Ha, and I hardly ever see people say they've read Captain Blood...have you read/liked other of Sabatini's books?

    lol, I'd join you on your dream vacation! Especially the first part! :)

    *sigh* I want your ideal dwelling place, too...though yeah, somewhere between cleaning and heating the place I'd probably wonder what happened to my head. XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job sis!! I wouldn't mind sharing that castle with u so long as it has a GIGANTIC library with all my favorite authors in it:)
    Can I join your tour of Europe?
    ButterflyBailey

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.