Friday, May 10, 2013

Childhood Memories Blog Party

The Story Girl

My friend Hayden at Story Girl is doing a Childhood Memories Blog Party. The party ends tomorrow but here are my answers to her tag.

First: name 5 childhood memories that bring a smile to your face
1. My dad teaching me how to fry eggs.
2. Feeding calves with friends who owned a dairy farm.
3. Riding our bicycles up and down the sidewalk for hours at a time with my younger sisters.
4. Playing Storm the Castle/Medieval Times/Bad Guy, Good Guy with one family of friends.
5. How excited my siblings and I were when our puppy came home after he had run away with our older dog.

Now: answer the questions
1. Was there a particular game that you played with your siblings all the time?
It was called 'Let's-see-what-new-adventures-we-can-make-up-today.'  Basically, anything my overly fertile brain could conceive, my siblings followed me into.

We did play House a lot, I guess; though I usually left the housekeeping to my younger sisters and went off exploring, scouting or 'hunting' with my brother.

We also loved playing pirates.  For several weeks, we even had our own elaborate pirate hideout complete with cannons and rifles for everyone. 

2. Did you have a special toy/item that you dragged around everywhere you went?
I do recall taking my favorite doll (named after myself) several places.

3. What was a movie/ TV show that you were obsessed with as a child?
I loved watching Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin.  I also remember being fond of Power Rangers.  But not really obsessed with, no.  At least, not that I remember.

4. Did you have an imaginary friend?
At least a dozen that I can think of right off the top of my head.  And MANY more that I can't think of right away.

5. What did you want to be when you grew up?
Many things!  Let's see... A queen, a horse racing jockey, a librarian, a lady knight, a horse trainer, a spy, a firefighter, a writer... and that's all I can remember at the moment.  I wasn't ambitious or anything, was I?  :)

6. Who was president when you were born?
George H. W. Bush

7. Any song associated with your childhood?
Several.  The one that springs to mind right now is How Firm A Foundation.

8. Something that scared you as a child?
Snakes.  The worst part about it, is that they still scare me.  *shudder*

9. What’s the food that you like now but back then just wouldn’t eat?
I don't mind sauerkraut now, but I hated it when I was little.  And guacamole.  I didn't like that either but I think it is delicious now.

10. Was there any Christmas or birthday gift that you really, really wanted and went crazy about?
Well, the doll I received for my fourth Christmas is the one that became my constant childhood companion.  The Breyer horses I was given for a few birthdays had me pretty excited, too.  And books never failed to excite me.  But not really anything that I can recall going completely nuts over.  My mother might remember better than I....


Miss Melody Muffin

2 comments:

  1. Alas, mother remembers no such reaction, either. It was always more likely the latest adventure rattling about in your head would cause more excitement than a gift. Did I say 'was'??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a queen would be fun, if you got a cool country.

    And I think all authors had imaginary friends, or should have. They are some of the best friends a person can find 8-D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.