Sunday, July 14, 2013

Actually Finishing Something July 2013

Oh my, this post is very late.  I was going to post it last week, but we had some internet issues.  Aaanyway....

Katie over at Whisperings of the Pen is hosting the Actually Finishing Something July challenge again.  Yay!!  This challenge is a great motivator.  Go HERE to find out more about it and join in.



The first week's questions:
1. What is your writing goal?
I have two actually.  To write 2,500 words a week on The Land Beyond the Sunset, the first book in my Quara series; and to reach the halfway point on Betrayal, a short story I started recently.

2. Give us a short synopsis of your project.  What makes it unique?
The Land Beyond the Sunset:
In the beautiful, mysterious world beyond the sunset lies the land of Quara.  Ruling one of the largest countries in the land are 14 siblings.  Their parents' deaths 6 years earlier forced them to ascend the throne while still children.  Being a king or queen of Esidaraq is a very busy job.  Especially when, in the space of ten days, there are: two birthday celebrations, one half-birthday celebration, a knighting ceremony and a visit from an admiral- who brings news about pirates.  In addition to all that hustle-bustle, refugees from another kingdom arrive and news of a possible war comes.  Can the young monarchs cope with it all?

Betrayal:
Iniga Navarro is tired of running.  Betrayed by those closest to her, she and the few remaining members of her family hole up in an old mountain fortress.  But, is it strong enough to resist their enemies?  And will she be able to set aside her distrust to accept help from an unexpected source?

3. How long have you been working on this project?
I've been working on The Land Beyond the Sunset for a couple years.  However, I just started rewriting it, for the third time, because it just wasn't coming together the way I had been writing it.  It is coming along swimmingly now.

Betrayal just came to me about three or four weeks ago.  I was in a weird, somewhat bad mood and I worked it out by writing this.  I was only going to write a vignette of a few hundred words... and it had other ideas.

4. How often do you intend to write in order to reach your goal by August first?
At least six days a week.

5. Introduce us to three of your favorite characters in this project.
The Land Beyond the Sunset:
Admiral Taye Wolokai
He just entered the story two weeks ago.  He is a veteran seaman and one of the most experienced admirals in the Daraqian navy.  The Princes and Princesses of Esidaraq say he has some of the best pirate tales ever.  The Royal Family is very glad to have him in command of the Third Fleet.

Martolph
Math and science tutor for the Royal Family and others in the Palace.  He has trained scores of children in math and science and he is very hard to fool.  Just ask Davardi and Benjamorn.

Aiyala
Governess/nanny to Princess Elsheba.  The poor woman has a hard time of it, chasing the young princess all over the castle and getting her out of one scrape after another.  Ariana doesn't know what she would do without her.


Betrayal:
Ted Beltor
An old friend of Iniga's father.  A widower with one young son.  He heard of Iniga's family's plight and came to find them and stand with them, against whatever is ahead for them.

Aresti Lozoya
An friend of Iniga's cousins.  He is practically part of the family.  When Iniga meets him, she is a bit puzzled at his gentle understanding of her bitterness.  Despite that understanding, she is not ready to trust him. 

Rosalie Navarro
Iniga's mother.  Calm in the face of all the chaos, she retains a steadfast faith in God and a compassion for their enemies that Iniga just doesn't understand some days.

6. Go to page 16 (or 6, 26 or 66!) of your writing project.  Share your favorite line or snippet on the page.
The Land Beyond the Sunset:  (page 6)
"We could play King of Quara," Debarri said.
"Freeze Tag!" Elsheba yelled, "Let's play Freeze Tag!"
"Yes, let's!" the other children agreed.
"With our Cats," Debarri added.

Betrayal:  (page 6)
"See you in the morning," I nodded to Ted, having done a swift once-over of the landscape.
"Same to you," he stepped closer and dropped his voice so only I would hear, "Take it easy on yourself.  I'll be praying for you."
I gave him a half smile.  "Thanks, Ted.  Make sure you eat heartily and get some sleep."
He snapped a salute and winked at me.

7. Tea or coffee?
Tea.  I have occasionally had coffee when I needed the caffeine boost and there was no tea, but I don't like it.  Cappuchino on the other hand, I do like.

I am looking forward to participating in this challenge again!!!

Miss Melody Muffin

4 comments:

  1. Good luck in thine endeavor! Betrayal sounds intriguing, and you already know that I'm interested in Quara ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting Sister! Looking forward to hearing more.
    ButterflyBailey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, maybe it isn't too late for me to do this then...but I have a feeling I'll get more writing done if I just DO it - I write blog posts slow. :P It's so fun to see what you're working on, though! And those look like good goals...

    Great synopsis for each, too...and ha, Betrayal's background is exactly how I came to start my time travel story. Isn't it funny how stories can come from the strangest things?

    LOL I love the Freeze Tag with Cats... XD And I am now curious about Betrayal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kendra,
    Thank you! It's funny how what was supposed to simply be a few hundred words is turning into at least a few thousand.... *shakes head* Stories certainly do have a mind of their own.

    Butterfly,
    Which one sounds interesting, dear?

    Kate,
    It's never too late to join in. :) I know how that goes, sometimes it is easier and faster to just write than to take part in challenges, etc.

    Thank you!!! Synopses can be hard for me. Sometimes I have to rewrite them over and over until they even come halfway near what I'm looking for.

    Yeah, stories can grow out of the oddest things.

    Castle Cats are super smart and they are great fun to write. And Betrayal... it is one of those stories that have those tough parts to write where you are just going, ow... for the characters' pain.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.