Monday, August 26, 2013

Writing Tag!

Megan Gorecki is starting a new writing website and as part of her launch party, is hosting a writing tag.  Go HERE to check out the site and HERE to join in on the tag.

1. What was your first piece of writing?
A story about two sisters and their horses and the fun they had with them.  I never finished it and I don't think I even have it anymore.  It pretty much hollered, "BEGINNER!!" and was quite boring.

2. How old were you when you first began writing?
Seven or eight.

3. Name two writing goals, one short-term and one long-term.
Short-term: I'd like to write 500 words a day nearly every day for the rest of August and through September.  Long-term: I'm hoping to finish the first drafts of The Land Beyond the Sunset and the first book in the Three Kyngdoms series by the end of the year.

4. Do you write fiction or non-fiction?
Fiction, totally and completely.  Unless you count my blog, which is non-fiction, most of the time.  :D  (Just kidding.  It is all non-fiction.)

5. Bouncing off of question four, what is your favorite genre to write in?
Fantasy.  I love the freedom of being able to make my own rules, histories, geography and culture.  I also enjoy writing Historical Fiction and some sci-fi/futuristic.

6. One writing lesson you've learned since 2013 began.
To not stress so much about my stories' outlines and just write them!

7. Favourite author off the top of your head!
I'm horrid at picking favorites.  At this precise moment in time, I'll say J. R. R. Tolkien.

8. Three current favourite books.
The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, and Rupert of Hentzau (which I just read on Saturday and WOW).

9. Biggest influence on your writing (it has to be a person).
My mother.  She was the first person to persuade me my 'scribblings' were more than just the outpourings of a frenzied need to write about everything in my world.  She remains a huge encouragement to me, and is always ready to give me a kick in the pants when I need it.  :)

10. What is your go-to writing music?
A wide variety.  I love opera overtures, especially when I'm writing fantasy.  Celtic music is fantastic and inspiring.  Musicals, drama soundtracks, and recently K-pop, are more favorites.

11. List three to five writing quirks of yours!  Little habits, must-haves as you write, etc.
~My list frenzy extends to my writing.  I make lists upon lists with character information, names and trivia.
~I tuck my pen behind my ear when I am looking something up, thinking or just referring to my notes.
~99% of the time, I write on top of a clipboard.

12. What, in three sentences or less, does your writing mean to you?
For me, writing is the one thing I can honestly say I am creative in.  For example, I can sit down and write the way other people sit down and create patterns or recipes.  It is my way of processing moral, ethical, political and social problems, and it is also the tool I hope to use to shine God's light on the world.


Miss Melody Muffin

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for joining in! SO great to meet another kindred spirited author!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lists are fun. When I get writers block, but want to write something, I'll start writing out the character's names one after another.

    I put my pencil in my hair. My ear isn't shaped right for good pencil holding, unfortunately.

    I wish I could tell you more about my new top secret series, but my mom says it's an idea she has never seen done before, and she doesn't want me talking about it very much online so that no one can steal it. All I can say is that it covers multiple genres and the first book is sci-fi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meghan,
    Thanks for the event! It has been delightful to meet you, and I look forward to reading your blog in the future.

    Kendra,
    Hm, I've never thought of that but may try it the next time I have writer's block.

    I'll be looking forward to it when you do release info about it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.