Monday, September 23, 2013

WELCOME TO MUSICALS WEEK!!!!!

RING OUT THE BELLS UPON THIS DAY OF DAYS!!!!

Today marks the beginning of the Celebrate Musicals Week, hosted by my friend Amy Dashwood over at her blog Yet Another Period Drama Blog.

The very first musical I ever saw, was the Sound of Music.  After that, I don't think I'd seen any other musical until I watched Les Miserables last year.  Since then, I've become a HUGE fan of not just Les Mis, but the Phantom of the Opera also, and I greatly enjoy several other musicals.

The musical I will be spotlighting this week is.....

Wait for it....



I'm being mean....  :D





AIDA!!!!!!


It is a musical by Elton John and Tim Rice based on the opera of the same name by Giuseppe Verdi.  I look forward to introducing you to this musical and why I love it.

I had known of Verdi's opera for a few years, and one of my favorite pieces of classical music is from it- The Grand March.  I've not actually seen the opera.  (Someday....)

Some months ago, I was listening to a playlist of Ramin Karimloo songs while I was writing.  One of the songs was one I had never heard of before, but which caught my attention immediately.  It sounded tragically beautiful and was called Written in the Stars.  In the description of the video, it said the song was from Aida.  I immediately thought of the opera, and wondered if the song was an English translation of a song from the opera.  I looked it up online and discovered the song was from a musical based on the opera!!!!!!  Was I excited!!  I went looking for the soundtrack on YouTube and spent days and weeks listening to it.  Some of the songs were a bit too modern feeling for me, but I loved others and they quickly became favorites of mine.


And now, here is the tag Amy has made to kick off the week with.

1.  What musical did you pick to "spotlight" this week and why?
Aida, by Elton John and Tim Rice.  For a while, I couldn't decide between Aida and The King and I, but fewer people have heard of Aida, so I decided to go with the lesser known one.

2.  How did you discover the musical you picked (hereinafter referred to as "your musical")?
A playlist of Ramin Karimloo songs.  See above.

3.  If you had to pick three favorite songs from your musical, which ones would they be?
Only three???  Hmmm:
Written in the Stars
Enchantment Passing Through
Not Me

4.  What's your least favorite song from your musical?
Like Father, Like Son.  Zoser's part of the lyrics is just... ick.

5.  Who are your favorite characters (choose up to three)?
Aida, Amneris and Rhadames.  They also happen to be the three main characters.

6.  Which versions of your musical have you seen/listened to, and which is your favorite?
The Original Broadway Cast recording is usually the one I listen to.  I've seen the Youth Musical Theatre Association's version, and enjoyed it.  I've also seen bootlegs of various performers from all over the globe.  My default favorite is the Youth Musical Theatre Association's performance- simply because it is the only one I've seen all the way through.  :)

7.   Is this your favorite musical of all time?  If not, what is?
It is not, though it does rank within my top ten, and probably my top five.  Les Miserables and the Phantom of the Opera tie for my favorite musical.

8.   Which cast album/musical soundtrack in your collection do you listen to the most?

Well, the only one I currently have is the Original Broadway Cast recording of Les Mis, and I listen to it a lot.  Online, I listen most to Aida, Phantom, Les Mis, Mozart! and I'm starting to really like The King and I.

9.   What is your favorite costume from your musical?
Aida's purple/red (depending on what version you see) dress.  HERE  (Not the best picture, but all I could find.)

10.  If you could change anything about your musical, what would you change?
I'd cut out some of the inapropriate scenes with Amneris, and at least one scene with Rhadames and Aida.  And change some of the costumes definitely.  I'd like them to have a much more Ancient Egyptian feel to them.  And there are some modesty issues.

11.  Which role(s) would you most like to play in any musical, if you had the opportunity to do so on stage?
Eponine from Les Miserables, hands down.  If it didn't involve so much kissing and a few other things, I'd also like to play Aida, Elphaba in Wicked and Anne of Green Gables (though I doubt I could pull off the red hair).  Mother Abbess in the Sound of Music would be interesting, as would Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady.  And I think the role of Flick Wimple in the The In-Between (a musical that has never been performed, but which I love the concept music from) would be intriguing.  (Goodness, that is a long list!)

12.  If you could choose one performer to play any part in your musical, who would you choose and which part would you have them play?
Ramin Karimloo in the role of Rhadames.  (Are you reading this, Tom Hooper/Universal Pictures?!!)

13.  Do you consider yourself a musical theatre fan in general or do you just like a few musicals?
A musical theatre fan.  :D

14.  Are you tired of the word "musical" yet?

Never!!!

15.  Turn your music playing device on shuffle (or utilize Pandora if you don't have one) and tell us the names of the first three show tunes that come up-- no cheating!  How do these rank on your favorites/most-listened-to list?

1. One Day More- (movie cast)
2. Suddenly- Hugh Jackman
3. A Whole New World

In order of preference:
1. One Day More
2. A Whole New World
3. Suddenly- Hugh Jackman


Tomorrow, you shall hear much more about Aida!


Miss Melody Muffin

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, a musical I actually don't know a whole lot about...SO looking forward to more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've heard of The In-Between musical! I love that concept album. I'm desperately hoping that it will get turned into a musical on the West End and that it will star Hadley Fraser.

    I have heard of the Aida musical although I don't know a huge amount about it. I heard a YouTube video of Idina Menzel singing 'My Strongest Suit' (I think that's what it's called?) from it. She belted out a G5# which is pretty awesome. Looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexandra,
    :D I hope you enjoy reading!

    Indigo,
    Yes!!!! I love it, too!! Ooh, Hadley would terrific in it! I have a Dream Cast for it, but I don't know if I will post it this week, or wait until another time.

    Yes, Idina is very good as Amneris. She has become my favorite Amneris.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.