Monday, November 18, 2013

MEC Day Eighteen: Through Fire and Water


Aragorn: You fell.
Gandalf: Through fire and water. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought with the Balrog of Morgoth. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside. Darkness took me. And I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and everyday was as long as a life-age of the earth. But it was not the end. I felt life in me again. I've been sent back until my task is done.




DAY EIGHTEEN ~ FAVORITE FEMALE CHARACTER

Keeping to the same way I chose favorites yesterday, here are my favorite female characters from each Middle Earth race:


Men:
Eowyn- daughter of Eomund, shieldmaiden of Rohan, later Princess of Ithilien.  Of course.  :)

If I were to choose a second favorite, I'd probably say Lothiriel, the daughter of Prince Imrahil and later the wife of Eomer.  She intrigues me, because we don't know anything about her- except that she was Imrahil's daughter, had four brothers, was cousin to Faramir and Boromir, married Eomer and bore him at least one son.  I wish Tolkien had told us more about her personality- was she spunky or quiet, shy or bold, a model lady or a rebel, or something in-between all of those?


Hobbits:
Rosie Cotton.  She is spunky and sweet.  I really like her portrayal in the movies.


Elves:
Arwen Undomiel, the Evenstar   Of course, you knew I would choose her, too.  :D


Dwarves:
The only dwarf woman that is ever mentioned by name is Dis, the daughter of Thrain II, sister of Thorin and the mother of Fili and Kili.  She had to have been a pretty good mother to have raised those two rascals, so she's my favorite female dwarf.


Istari:
There were no female Istari.



For more information about the Middle Earth Challenge, including how to join in, go HERE.


Miss Melody Muffin

1 comment:

  1. One female I'd like to know more about is Pippin's wife. He married when he returned to the Shire, and his children intermarried with Sam's and Rosie's children. It would be vastly interesting to learn more about a girl who would agree to marry 'ole Pip. Just me?

    Ooh... I hope PJ has something with Dis somewhere in TH. It was interesting to see how he visualized dwarf women in the films, yet he doesn't have any of them as real characters that speak and have important actions. *nods head* Dis should be in the movies.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.