Monday, November 11, 2013

MEC Day Eleven: The Clash of Swords and the Ring of Armor

Gimli: Oh come on, we can take 'em.
Aragorn: It's a long way.
Gimli: Toss me.
Aragorn: What?
Gimli: I cannot jump the distance, you'll have to toss me.
[pauses, looks up at Aragorn]
Gimli: Don't tell the elf.
Aragorn: Not a word.




DAY ELEVEN ~ FAVORITE BATTLE

As with all of the other challenge questions, this was HARD to answer.  I have two top favorite battles.  The Battle of Helm's Deep, and the Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

*thinks for a long time*  *deep sigh*  I just can't choose between the two!!!  So, I shall have to declare a tie.  Again.  :D

My favorite moments of the two battles:

Helm's Deep:
The scene with Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli preparing for the battle.  And Legolas- "That is no orc horn."

Haldir bringing his army of elves 'to fight alongside men once more'.  Yes, I know it isn't in the books.  But, it is so epic and wonderful that I don't mind the deviation.  What I do mind is Haldir's death later on.  Don't even get me started on how senseless that was.  Or how ridiculous it is that none of the elves- who are the most skilled warriors in Middle Earth- survived the battle.  Anyway, I don't think I can describe the thrill that goes through my blood when I hear the elven horn and see the army of elves marching up the ramp to the gate.  It just... *chills- the good kind*.

Aragorn moving along the wall and speaking orders to the elves- in Elvish.  It always reminds me that he grew up in Rivendell and would have spoken Elvish as his main language for years.

Aragorn's leading of the elves, period.

The, "Would you like me to find you a box?" scene.

Aragorn drawing Anduril, particularly the look on his face.

The EPIC music.

The fluid motion of the elves firing arrows.

"Did they hit anything?"  These are elven archers... does the sun rise in the east, Gimli?  :)

Legolas and Gimli's famous orc slaying contest.  :D

Theoden yelling, "Brace the gates!"

Aragorn and Gimli saving each other.

Legolas sliding down the stairs on the shield.  :)

Legolas unsheathing his knives.

Legolas and an elf dragging Gimli back to the keep.  :D

Aragorn screaming Haldir's name as he rushes to his aid.

Random insertion: I know I've said it before- but I HATE Haldir's death.  It is tragic, senseless, stupid,  and yes- very sad and beautiful that it is Aragorn who holds him as he breathes his last- but... It. Should. Not. Have. Happened.  Period.  :D

Aragorn riding the ladder down.

Thoeden- "To the gate.   Draw your swords."

Aragorn and Gimli's assault on the ramp (see the quote at the top of the page).  Hilarious and fantastic.

Legolas hauling Aragorn and Gimli up after the assault on the ramp.

Aragorn taking charge of the last defenders and ordering the women and children to safety.

"Ride out with me.  Ride out and meet them head on.  For Rohan.  For your people."

"The Horn of Helm Hammerhand shall sound in the Deep, one last time."  And Gimli's face, "YES."

The charge down the ramp.  (Thrilling and inspiring.)

Shadowfax rearing on the hilltop... and then Eomer and his Rohirrim appearing. 

Theoden's look when he sees Eomer. 

"Rohirrim.  For the King!"  And the magnificent charge down the hill.

And yes, I do realize I practically just described the entire battle.  I suppose it would have been better to simply say I love every single moment of the battle (except for Haldir's death), right?  *sigh*  See why I'm having such a hard time choosing favorites??


Pelennor Fields:
The arrival of the Rohirrim, Theoden giving the battle plan and then the cheer the Riders give. 

The look on Merry's face as the Riders charge.

The EPIC music.  :)

The look on Gothmog's face when he realizes he will probably be trampled.  Heehee!!!

Eomer's battle yell.

The appearance of the Olifaunts through the smoke.

Theoden- "Reform the lines!  Sound the charge!"

The epic scale of these comparatively small horses charging the giant Olifaunts.

Eomer taking down two Olifaunts with one spear blow.

Eowyn and Merry waving in and out, hamstringing an Olifaunt- killing it.

Random thought: I think it is funny how Legolas' Olifaunt killing scene receives so much attention but not many people even realizee that Eowyn and Merry kill at least one Olifaunt, and Eomer kills two- with one spear!  Don't get me wrong, I love Legolas' scene too, but I think Eomer, Eowyn and Merry deserve more attention for their parts in the Olifaunt battle.

The entire scene with Eowyn, Merry and the Witch King.  Especially the moment when she removes her helmet, "I am no man."

Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas leaping from the Black Ships.  (This one is another one that thrills me beyond my power to tell.)  Especially Aragorn's face- a king returning to his kingdom.  And Gimli's, "There's plenty for the both of us!  May the best dwarf win!"

Legolas and Gimli counting their kills.

Legolas' famous orc killing scene.

"I hold your oaths fulfilled.  Go.  Be at peace."


What are your favorite moments from these battles?


For more information about the Middle Earth Challenge, including how to join in, go HERE.


Miss Melody Muffin

6 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, I don't think I could've picked a favorite battle... =P Love your choices! Definitely epic. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. every time I read a post mentioning anything about any of the movies, I think, "GAHHHH MUST WATCH AGAIN!!!"

    I am not a fantasy fan (AT ALL, really and truly) but I can't help but appreciate tolkien - I actually love the books - and the movies are spectacular, too. *sighs for the amazingness of it all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha!! Love this!

    "Does the sun rise in the east, Gimli?" :D

    I know!! It's really hard to choose favorites!

    The charge.... epic.

    "Ride now! Ride now! Ride to ruin and the world's ending!! Death!!" *chills*

    Haha! Gothmug is hilarious! In a creepy, awful way, of course. I was so glad when Aragorn finally killed him in the extended RotK.

    YES! Why don't Eomer, Eowyn, and Merry get more credit for the Oliphants?! And Eomer killed *two* of them! With one spear!

    I love the scene after Pelnnor when Pippin finds Merry. You get a real sense of the kinship the two have. "It's me, Merry. It's Pippin!" "I knew you'd find me. Are you going to leave me?" "No, Merry. I'm going to look after you."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok. I choose The Battle of the Pelennor Fields. It is absolutely amazing and wonderful.
    As I like to say Magnificently, Wonderfully, Amazingly, Fantastic. Yeah there are a few parts like Legolas killing the Oliphaunt that are like "Seriously?" but it is still awesome. Eowyn and Merry killing the Witch King, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli coming in the Black Ships, the Ride of the Rohirrim, Theoden's death(its really sad but beautiful to) it is all really cool and for me it is almost as good as The Battle of Helm's Deep. I have only seen it once but have read the book many times.
    Here are some pics and are few favorite quotes(I think that they are all from the books):
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/432838214158174960/
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/222857881530872519/
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/449374869039420865/
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/480900066430565670/
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/112449321915976792/
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/150237337540092451/
    This is a beautiful but sad picture.
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/195273333815168284/
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/83668505550073933/
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/376121006350586746/
    This so sad when he thinks that Eowyn is dead.
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/56928382762528107/

    I love doing this challenge. It is so much fun.
    ButterflyBailey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you speak for all of us Tolkienites in picking both battles, Melody. Both have their amazing moments, and it's hard to choose which is the most epic. I think I tend to lean more towards Pelanor, though.

    I love Éowyn and Merry's interaction in ROTK--the camaraderie between them is just so...sweet. Two people who technically shouldn't be at Pelanor, supporting each other as they fight for their peoples--it's just so cool.

    God bless,
    ~"Tom Wild Rose"~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna,
    It was pretty hard for me, too.

    Deryn,
    I couldn't agree more!

    Kiri,
    YES. The scene between Merry and Pippin is one of those sadly happy scenes. The quiet joy that comes from finding him alive, on the field of all that carnage, and knowing he'll make it.

    Tom,
    YES!!! Merry and Eowyn supporting each other is a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.