Thursday, November 14, 2013

MEC Day Fourteen: Sadness

Théoden: Simbelmynë. Ever has it grown on the tombs of my forebears. Now it shall cover the grave of my son. Alas that these evil days should be mine! The young perish, and the old linger. That I should live to see the last days of my house.



DAY FOURTEEN ~ SADDEST QUOTE

From the scene in the book Return of the King, when the Hobbits and Gandalf are on their way home, they have left Rivendell and are heading for the Shire.  Frodo's shoulder wound from the Morgul blade is troubling him.



"Alas!  There are some wounds that cannot be wholly cured," said Gandalf.

"I fear it may be so with mine," said Frodo.  "There is no real going back.  Though I may come to the Shire it will not seem the same; for I shall not be the same.  I am wounded with knife, sting, and tooth, and a long burden.  Where shall I find rest?"



For more information about the Middle Earth Challenge, including how to join in, go HERE.


Miss Melody Muffin

4 comments:

  1. "No parent should have to bury their child." Oh, I always feel so bad for Theoden in that scene! Sad face.

    That heart-wrenching moment when Frodo realizes he can't go back to the simple life he used to know. Double sad face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are the two quotes that I picked for "Saddest Quote"
    "Hail, King of the Mark!" he said. "Ride now to victory! Bid Eowyn farewell" and so he died and knew not that Eowyn lay near him.
    I can't ever decide which version of Theoden's death I like better, because in the book, he knows that Merry is there but doesn't know that Eowyn is there, but in the movie, he knows that Eowyn is there but doesn't know that Merry is there.
    And then this one:
    "But," said Sam, and tears started in his eyes, "I thought you were going to enjoy the Shire, too, for yes and years, after all you have done"
    Sam, from ROTK the book when Frodo heads to the Havens.
    ButterflyBailey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly. Heart-wrenching and lots of sad faces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that was very sad. Poor Frodo.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.