Thursday, November 7, 2013

MEC Day Seven: Of All the Weapons in Middle Earth....

Boromir: The Shards of Narsil!  The blade that cut the ring from Sauron's hand.
(He runs his finger up the blade, and cuts himself.)  Still sharp!


 
 

DAY SEVEN ~ FAVORITE WEAPON


Oh, boy, this will be super hard!!!  The amazing weapons are one of my favorite things about Middle Earth and I think they did a wonderful job with them in the movies.  I like them all- Legolas' bow, the various swords and axes, but at the very top, I will always love Aragron's sword Anduril.  Reforged by the elves from the shards of his ancestor Elendil's sword Narsil, it is a symbol of Aragorn's lineage and his rightful heritage as King of Gondor and Arnor.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0e/ed/22/0eed223482475b059b37c5530334d0a9.jpg


My favorite quotes about Anduril and Narsil:

Galadriel (Prologue): It was in this moment, when all hope had faded, that Isildur, son of the king, took up his father's sword.   The Fellowship of the Ring (movie)

Aragorn: Anduril!  Anduril for the Dunedain!   The Two Towers (book)

Elrond: Anduril, Flame of the West, forged from the shards of Narsil.   Return of the King (movie)

Renewed shall be blade that was broken...   (from the Riddle of Strider)

Very bright was that sword when it was made whole again; the light of the sun shone redly in it, and the light of the moon shone cold, its edge was hard and keen. And Aragorn gave it a new name and called it Andúril, Flame of the West.   The Fellowship of the Ring (book)


For more information about the Middle Earth Challenge, including how to join in, go HERE.


Miss Melody Muffin

4 comments:

  1. Ahh, I'd forgotten about Andúril. A very romantic story, really--totally the stuff of legends and classic Fairy-tales.

    I think my favorite weapons are Bilbo's (and later Frodo's) "sword," Sting, and Arwen's Elvish blade, Hadhafang (which of course is only in the movie). Couldn't think of enough to say about them for a whole blog-post, though, as I tend to go more for the costumes. :-P

    God bless,
    ~"Tom Wild Rose"~

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite weapon is...Anduril!!!!!
    'The sword of Elendil was forged anew by elven smiths, and on its blade was traced a device of seven stars set between the crescent Moon and the rayed Sun, and about them were written many runes; for Aragorn son of Arathorn was going to war upon the marches of Mordor. Very bright was that sword when it was made whole again; the light of the sun shone redly in it, and the light of the moon shone cold, and its edge was hard and keen. And Aragorn gave it a new name and called it Anduril, Flame of the West.' The Fellowship of the Ring(book) "We will make them fear the Chamber of Mazarbul!" he said grimly, feeling the edge of his sword, Anduril.' The Fellowship of the Ring(book)
    'But even as the orc flung down the truncheon and swept out his scimitar, Anduril came down upon his helm. There was a flash like flame and the helm burst asunder. The orc fell with cloven head.' The Fellowship of the Rig(book)
    'Aragorn threw back his cloak. The elven-sheath glittered as he grasped it, and the bright blade of Anduril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out.' THe Two Towers(book)
    "Anduril!" cried Aragorn. "Anduril for the Dunedain!" The Two Towers(book)
    'Then he drew Anduril and held it up glittering in the sun. "You shall not be sheathed again until the last battle is fought," he said.' The Return of the King(book)
    Well there is my answer. I know all my quotes are from the books. Its because it has been a long time since I watched ROTK(even though I have had it sitting on my bookshelf for over a month). But I do know that I really liked the scene when Elrond brought Anduril to Aragorn at Dunharrow.
    My second favorite weapons are Glamdring, Ocrist, Sting and Legolas's Galadrim Bow. And Melody I LOVE the picture of Anduril that you posted.
    ButterflyBailey

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reforging of Narsil into Anduril is one of my favourite scenes in the movie. I don't know why. It is short, almost a throw-away scene, but it is so beautiful and full of hope. I agree that Anduril is probably the most important weapon in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring.
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king.

    Epic. Epic. Epic. I have no other words.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.