Wednesday, November 6, 2013

MEC Day Six: Thorin's Company


Dori: Was that an earthquake?
Balin: That, my lad, was a dragon.


 

DAY SIX ~ BEST OF THORIN'S COMPANY

Hmmm.  Again, I find it difficult to choose who was the best in Thorin's company.  Each had their own strengths and each followed Thorin for one reason– to reclaim their home.  As Thorin himself says: "I would take each and every one of these Dwarves over an army from the Iron Hills.  For when I called upon them, they answered.  Loyalty.  Honor.  A willing heart.... I can ask no more than that."


My favorite member of Thorin's company is a tie between Thorin himself and Balin.

Thorin has not had an easy life.  At the time The Hobbit opens, his father and grandfather are both dead and he is one of the last of the Royal Dwarven line of Durin (the other two being his nephews Fili and Kili).  He is well aware that retaking the Lonely Mountain and his kingdom is a well-nigh impossible task.  Yet, he does not falter.  He refuses to give up and determines that come what may, he will make every attempt in his power to reclaim his homeland.

But, he certainly had his faults.  I was rereading The Hobbit a few days ago and realized how arrogant he becomes.  The lust for gold and the Arkenstone drives him to do some stupid and frankly, wrong, things.  In spite of that, he does come through when it really counts.


Balin is one of the first dwarves to warm up to Bilbo and treat him as an equal.  In the movie, Balin is sort of a grandfather type, the counselor, the one Thorin turns to when he needs support or a second opinion.  He is kindly and considerate when others aren't.  But, don't think for a moment that his age has dulled his prowess in battle or his wits!



And, now, for something exciting, fellow Tolkien geeks!  We're all waiting eagerly for the second installment in the Hobbit trilogy, the Desolation of Smaug, due out next month.  Just yesterday, Peter Jackson uploaded a new sneak peek at the movie!!!!!!!!!!!  I first saw it today, and I've already watched it five times.  At least.  :D  Many of the clips are ones also seen in the trailers, but there are some new scenes with Bard and the dwarves.  Enjoy!!






For more information about the Middle Earth Challenge, including how to join in, go HERE.


Miss Melody Muffin

3 comments:

  1. Same here. I can't really decide who is the 'best' in Thorin's company.
    My favorite is definitely Thorin with Fili and Kili very close seconds. Yes Thorin is a bit bullheaded and ridiculous towards the end but he forgets his prejudices and his greed and comes through in the Battle of the Five Armies and when he says good-bye to Bilbo is really sweet.
    Fili and Kili are absolutely hilarious and though it is very sad that they die(I am going to cry when they and Thorin die)it is sweet that they die protecting Thorin.
    "Of the twelve companions of Thorin, ten remained.Fili and Kili had fallen defending him with shield and body, for he was their mother's elder brother."
    That is another of my favorite quotes from The Hobbit.
    I can't wait to see the sneak peek(I will probably watch it with Melody, hopefully tonight)and if PJ messes it up to badly I am not going to be very happy with him.
    ButterflyBailey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, besides Bilbo, I think my favorite of Thorin and Company is Balin, for the reasons you stated--he kinda takes Bilbo under his wing and befriends him. I like your description of Balin as a "grandfather-type" and a "councilor." Good old Balin!

    --I just wish his crimson hood had made it into the movie. :-P

    god bless,
    ~"Tom Wild Rose"~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't that sneak peek just the best??! I watched it three times the first time I found it on Pinterest, and that may or may not have allowed two seconds between each playing.

    I know... I was intensely inspired to write a huge post on Thorin, about how much he annoys me, but then about his marvelous character. He *is* flawed, yes, but there's so much more to him that just his beard.

    Balin is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.