Sunday, November 3, 2013

MEC Day Three: More Quotes, Precioussssss!!!


"Certainty of death.  Small chance of success.  What are we waiting for?" 





DAY THREE ~ FAVORITE QUOTE

Seriously, who has only ONE favorite quote from Lord of the Rings, either the books or the movies????

In view of that, I'm going to post several of my favorite quotes.  One from each book and movie.  This will be a quote heavy post.  You've been warned.  :D

WARNING: There may be spoilers here for people who have not read all of the books or seen all of the movies.


This quote is technically my answer to the challenge (the others are all extras :D).  It is the one I quote the most often from the movies and it is just plain AWESOMELY AMAZING.

(Return of the King)
Aragorn: "Hold your ground, hold your ground! Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!



And now, one of my favorite quotes from each book and movie.

The Hobbit:
"No," said Thorin.  "There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West.  Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure.  If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.  But sad or merry, I must leave it now.  Farewell!"

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey:
Gandalf: Remember this: true courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug:  (this quote is from one of the trailers)
Bilbo: Truly songs and tales fall utterly short of the reality, O Smaug the Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities...


The Fellowship of the Ring: (book)
"At least for a while," said Elrond.  "The road must be trod, but it will be very hard.  And neither strength nor wisdom will carry us far upon it.  This quest may be attempted by the weak with as much hope as the strong.  Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere."

The Fellowship of the Ring: (movie)
Gandalf: "Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill before this is over. The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many."


The Two Towers: (book)
Faramir: "We are truth-speakers, we men of Gondor.  We boast seldom, and then perform, or die in the attempt.  'Not if I found it on the highway would I take it,' I said.  Even if I were such a man to desire this thing, and even though I knew not clearly what this thing was when I spoke, still I should take those words as a vow, and be held by them."

The Two Towers: (movie)
Haldir: I bring word from Lord Elrond of Rivendell. An Alliance once existed between Elves and Men. Long ago we fought and died together. We come to honor that allegiance.... We are proud to fight alongside Men once more.


The Return of the King: (book)
Eowyn: "But no living man am I!  You look upon a woman.  Eowyn am I, Eomund's daughter.  You stand between me and my lord and kin.  Begone, if you be not deathless!  For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him."

The Return of the King: (movie)
Elrond: "They will answer to the king of Gondor!  Anduril, Flame of the West, forged from the shards of Narsil.... The man who can wield the power of this sword can summon to him an army more deadly than any that walks this earth. Put aside the Ranger. Become who you were born to be. Take the Dimholt Road."


Did you read through the entire post?  I applaud you!!!!

For more information about the Middle Earth Challenge, including how to join in, go HERE.


Miss Melody Muffin

4 comments:

  1. Ok here is mine. I decided to choose one of my favorite quotes from each book and movie. So here goes:
    The Hobbit
    Book: "I will take your gift, O Bilbo the Magnificent!" said the King gravely. "And I name you elf-friend and blessed. May your shadow never grow less(or stealing would be too easy)! Farewell!"
    Movie(An Unexpected Journey):
    Galadriel: "Why the Halfling"
    Gandalf: "Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay...small acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Thats because I am afraid and he gives me courage"

    The Fellowship of the Ring
    Book: "And here in the House of Elrond more shall be made clear to you," said Aragorn, standing up. He cast his sword upon the table that stood before Elrond, and the blade was in two pieces. "Here is the Sword that was Broken." he said.
    Movie: "This is no mere Ranger. He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance"

    The Two Towers
    Book: I couldn't decide between these two so decided to do them both "Twenty-one," cried Gimli. He hewed a two-handed stroke and laid the last Orc before his feet. "Now my count passes Master Legolas again."

    Sam hesitated for a moment, then bowing very low: "Goodnight, Captain, my lord," he said.
    "You took the chance, sir"
    "Did I so?" said Faramir
    "Yes sir, and showed your quality: the very highest."
    Movie: "The battle of Helm's Deep is over, the battle for Middle-Earth is about to begin."

    The Return of the King
    Book: "That's done it! said Sam. "Now I've rung the front-door bell! Well, come on somebody! he cried. "Tell Captain Shagrat that the great Elf-warrior has called with his elf-sword too!"
    Movie:"Hold your ground! Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields, but it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid stand, Men of the West!"
    Well there it is! Reading the quotes for ROTK on IMDB made me want to watch it again SOOOO much! I am having a lot of fun with this!
    ButterflyBailey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good quotes Sister!
    ButterflyBailey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melody. Those are great quotes. That is one of my favourite scenes in the book, that bit with Eowyn and the Witch King.

    I am doing the challenge too. Here is the link to the most recent one. http://firefleetandcandlelight.blogspot.com/2013/11/middle-challenge-day-three.html
    Is there anything else I need to do to it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why didn't I think of this?? Oh, well...

    Love, love, love!

    Aragorn's speech!! *epic shivers*

    DoS!! Can't wait!! :D

    Oh, these are the best.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.