Saturday, January 4, 2014

2013 in Review

Last year was definitely an interesting one for me.  It had several chapters I really would rather have skipped, but you can't have rainbows without rain, can you?

Looking at my New Year's resolutions for last year, (found HERE), there were a few of them I accomplished and others did not go as I hoped. 
  • I did more writing and reading, but not much more more horseback riding.  Injuries and life circumstances were to blame for some of that.
  • I did not read at least 2 books a week.  Some weeks I only read a few chapters of one book, while others I devoured 5 books in the week.
  • I did not read 5 Dickens- only 2.
  • I did not read every unread novel in the house... but I did get a good start.
  • I did not finish the first drafts of The Land Beyond the Sunset and the first book in the Three Kyngdoms series.
  • The collaborative story idea with my sisters fell through by May, partly because only one out of the four sisters is serious about writing.  She and I may take the unused ideas and do something with them sometime....
  • I think I had more posts on this blog than in 2012, but they weren't necessarily more regular, except during the 30 day Challenges in October and November.
  • During the summer, several weeks at a time passed without me seeing anything.
  • Didn't see all the Jane Austen adaptations that I haven't seen yet.
  • I DID see The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and Les Miserables 2012.  And adored both of them.
  • I was privileged to get to know many bloggers better, and make new friends in the blogging world.
  • Ummmmmm, probably did not succeed about the stressing.  I'm beginning to think it's hopeless.  I'll be a stresser for the rest of my life....  :D



What I did accomplish in 2013:
Blogging:

Writing:
  • I successfully completed NaNoWriMo.
  • I finished my first full novel- Oath of Loyalty.
  • Started a short story tentatively titled Betrayal... that is still waiting to be finished....
  • Entered a short story contest and wrote an entry that was less than 2000 words- a hard thing for me.  It was good practice though, and I even took second in my category!

Reading:
  • Introduced my sister Butterfly and others of my family to The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings.  Butterfly is now as enamored with Tolkien as I am.  :D
  • Read 2 Dickens' novels (A Tale of Two Cities and David Copperfield), and discovered that I do enjoy his writing, once I get into it.
  • Bought my own Kindle- sort of my Christmas present to myself.  It will be a tremendous help because my family reads a lot of pre-1925 texts off places like Project Gutenberg, and even two Kindles in this house of voracious readers wasn't quite enough.
  • Downloaded a bunch of free Kindle books off Amazon, mostly fantasy and a few sci fi, that looked interesting.

Drama:
  • Was introduced to Kdrama (and kpop) by three dear friends (Mirriam, Katherine Sophia and Jessica), and am now obsessed with it.
  • Introduced my sister Billie to the Star Trek tv series.  She is enjoying it very much and we have such fun watching it together.


Other:
  • Saw Shakespeare's Henry V performed by a traveling theater company and LOVED IT.
  • Attended the funeral of a grandfather where we saw extended family members.



What I would like to accomplish in 2014:
Blogging:
  • Post at least once a week.
  • Post more book and movie reviews.


Writing:
  • Finish editing most of the typos out of Oath of Loyalty (typos caused by me typing at ridiculous speeds because no matter how fast I type, my hands still can't keep pace with my brain).
  • Finish the first draft of the first book in the Three Kyngdoms series, at the moment tentatively titled Venit Hora.
  • Finish the first draft of the first book in the Quara series, The Land Beyond the Sunset.
  • Start the first draft of To See The Stars (formerly known as FAMILY).
  • Start the first draft of the sequel to Oath of Loyalty.  The other day it was bombarding me with information about itself.
  • Write at least 500 words a day, six days a week.
  • Participate in NaNoWriMo again.
  • Start the first draft of new book, temporarily titled Sub Rosa.


Reading:
  • Read one pre 1925 text for every one of the modern ebooks I just downloaded from Amazon that I read.
  • Read 5 Dickens: Little Dorrit, The Pickwick Papers, Our Mutual Friend, Great Expectations, Bleak House.
  • More beta reading!!!  I'm in the middle of several fun stories right now, some of which I am very eager to see published.


Drama:
  • Watch more Kdrama- I have a HUGE list of ones I want to see.
  • Since I didn't do it last year, watch all the Jane Austen adaptations made since 1980 that I haven't seen yet.
  • See several Shakespeare adaptations, including The Hollow Crown with the excellent actor Tom Hiddleston in my favorite Shakespeare play- Henry V.
  • Watch The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.


Real life:
  • Ride my horse more!!!!!!!



Miss Melody Muffin

6 comments:

  1. It must be fate. A lot of your resolutions from last year were mine as well. Great minds think alike! :)

    Yup... 5 Dickens, and only made it to 3: Great Expectations, Bleak House, and Our Mutual Friend. They were all superb, so I'm not entirely mad at myself for falling short. There's always this year, right?

    What, what, what?!? What Jane Austen adaptions have you not seen? We need to fix this. It's a pity we're not closer, because my family has most of the JA films, and we could watch them together! *wishful thinking*

    YES!!! It was a blast!! Thank you so much for doing it with me!! I couldn't have done it without you, Melody, and that's the truth!!!!

    I love that Amazon has so many of the classics free for the Kindle. I don't have a Kindle myself (yet; I'm hoping to change that sometime or other), but I have the reading app on my laptop, and I use it all the time.

    Of course, *ahem* if you need beta-readers for Oath of Loyalty *ahem* ;)

    DESOLATION OF SMAUG!!!!!! Cannot wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, you have a horse??? That is so awesome! Horses are just amazing. ^_^

    And The Hollow Crown...I want to see that too! (Mostly because of Tom Hiddleston hahahaha ;D)

    Aaaaaand the Desolation of Smaug...YOU HAVE NOT SEEN IT YET YOU NEED TO GO SEE IT. LIKE. ASAP. Just watch it with an open mind. It's got some deviations from the book. (which you of course already know. :p) But it was so good. So yeah. you need to see it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh! And about the Middle-earth 30 day Challenge, thank you and Kiri Liz again so much for doing that!! That was too much fun.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing these 2013/2014 posts...and I always think they're helpful to go back and look at later and see what was or was not accomplished during the year...
    and you have a lovely set of things for this year. :) I hope they all go beautifully!

    and have a gorgeous week! TTYL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. TOLKIEN!!! I am VERY glad that you introduced me to him!!
    Typing to fast shakes head.
    The Henry V play was really good.
    KDRAMA!!!! Grrrrr :)
    But it was a really good year, mostly.
    ButterflyBailey

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you did get a lot accomplished, even if it wasn't things you were planning on. Getting anything knocked of a list is always good though.
    I hope 2014 is an extra special year for you, filled with all kinds of nice things.
    Happy Late New Years to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.