Monday, January 27, 2014

A Writer's Worst Enemy

WRITER'S BLOCK.

It is one of the most dreaded enemies of all writers, if not THE most dreaded enemy.  We fear it, we hate it, we do everything we can to ward it off, to break through it... and sometimes we still lose.

Yes, my friends, it has struck me, despite everything I did to try to avoid it.  I've been working on the first draft of Venit Hora (first book in the Three Kyngdoms series) all month, diligently putting in at least 1000 words a day on it five or six days a week.

It was going well.  Not fantabulously wonderful, but well.

And then, the last several days, it has not been going well.  At all.  Oh, I've still managed to make my word counts, but the writing seems to grow worse and worse (to me anyway).

To top it off, I have two other stories that are begging for me to write them.

I thought if I just pushed through the block and kept going, it would eventually go away and I'd be fine.  But that isn't happening.  In fact, the block seems to be growing bigger and bigger.

So, I've made a decision.  A friend recently reminded me to remember to go with the flow of what your brain is telling you.  If one story won't talk, take a break from it.  If another one is hammering your door down screaming at you to write it, listen to it.  Don't stress the one that isn't talking and write the one that is!

Normally, I don't have a problem going with the flow of my brain and going from story to story as the inspiration flows.  But this time, you see, I had this nifty little goal schedule for this year that involved finishing certain books at certain times.  Alas, stories and characters' don't appear to listen to their authors very well and they certainly don't give a hoot about schedules and goals.  They will talk when they are ready to and not before.

And when they do that, we can only throw up our hands in exasperation, because unfortunately, we cannot FORCE them to speak to us.

So, I'm going to take a break from writing Venit Hora and instead work on writing Ebony and Aubergine, a book you will hear more about soon (it is the one hammering down my door right now).  And, I'm going to work on developing and probably writing the second book in the Loyalty/Sisters and Guardians series – tentatively titled Pearl of Loyalty. 

I will still aim for a total of 1000 words a day, on whichever story I'm working on.

How are all of you doing?


Miss Melody Muffin

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like something I would have told you . . . if I'd been paying more attention to what was going on (or should that be not going on?) in the other corner of my office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. The exact reason why I'm still writing SotHT and no working on the Dragon Tamer books. Why do stories do this to us?? We are stubbornly at their beck and call. And yet, we just love being writers. It's a complicated world.

    Aw, you're welcome! I must say you've been an encouragement to me, too, Melody!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *opens arms wide* You need hot chocolate or something. Writers' block is an author's worst nightmare, most dreaded fear, yet the one we can never seem to escape. And I'll beta whatever you have to give. ;D
    ~Elfie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Writer's block is the worst thing ever. Adn it is even worse when you WANT to finish one story but others won't leave you alone. I've had that happen far too much. But it sounds like a good idea, working on the one that is demanding attention. (You could try bribing the other characters with chocolate...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom,
    :D :D :D


    Kiri,
    A VERY complicated world. :) But, yes, we wouldn't give up writing for all the tea in China....


    Elfie,
    *accepts virtual hot chocolate* Thanks, dear! When I have anything else ready for betaing, I'll be sure to send it to you!


    Jack,
    I agree- writer's block is AWFUL. Ooooh, I haven't thought of bribing them with chocolate before.... Thanks! I might just give that a try. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.