Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Scribblers' Conference Tag

My answers to the tag Anne created for the Scribblers' Conference.  Visit this post to answer the tag yourself, or to see other participants' links.


1. Do you think it's more important to listen to your characters or to follow the idea of the book as originally conceived?
Definitely listen to your characters.  They should be the driving force behind your story, so if you aren't listening to them, then why are you writing the story?

2. If you could pick a fictional man to become alive and marry you who would you pick? {note: this is not asking whom you consider the greatest hero but whom you would be the most comfortable spending the rest of your life with}
Oh my... I can think of about half a dozen, at least, that would fit the bill.  *puts on thinking cap to choose just one*  To be frank, I think it would have to be Lee Kang-to from Bridal Mask.

3.  What is your favorite protagonist and antagonist pair?
I have several favorites.  My top favorites at the moment are: The Scarlet Pimpernel and Chauvelin, Jean Valjean and Javert, Lee Kang-to and Kimura Shunji from Bridal Mask and the three-way protagonist/antagonist triangle Lee Yoon-sung, Kim Young-joo and Lee Jin-pyo from City Hunter.

4. If you had to do without one of the following in your story which would it be?
 A. The Dark Moment when the hero is at rock bottom and can't do anything
 B. The Moment of Decision when the hero makes an actual goal and starts following it{leading thereby to the story itself}
C. The Resolution- the reconciliation of the hero with his or her inner struggles and outer struggles

Um, none of the above?  Wait, that wasn't the question.  Well, if you don't have B, you don't have a story.  And if you don't have C, you don't have an ending for the story.  So, I'll choose A.

5. In modern fiction which genre do you think shows the most tendency toward good character development?
The emerging genre of epic, clean adventure, typified by authors Jessica Greyson, Kendra Ardnek and many others I have the privilege of knowing or knowing of.

6. Have you ever "fallen for" the villain? {Note I do not mean thought he was a good guy but rather WISHED  he was the good guy and rooted for him}
I never used to, but I've found myself doing this a lot lately.  It started with Tom Hiddleston's Loki in Avengers.  Now, several of Mirriam Neal and Katherine Sophia's characters have evoked this feeling in me, plus a few of my own.

7. Do you prefer writing about your protagonist or side characters?
Hmmm, side characters usually, but my protagonists are becoming more and more interesting to me.  The evolving style of a writer....

8. What do you think is the most cliched and overdone character in fiction?
This is hard choice, because there are a lot of character cliches in fiction.  I think the biggest one is the lovesick Disney-style fairy tale princess.

9. Which do you think is more important, making your reader feel or making him think?
I hope to do both, but if I had to choose, I'd rather make them think.

10.  And lastly what do you think are three most important elements to being a hero?
Faith 
He/she needs to have faith in what they are fighting for, and that faith will sustain them through even the darkest moments.
Perseverance
No matter how many times they are knocked down, literally or figuratively, they always get back up and go on fighting.
Love
If they don't love or care for something or someone, then what are they fighting for?



Miss Melody Muffin

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I must say it again -- I love your mind. ;D
    -Elfie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great answers Melody. Everyone I've seen so far has also picked A. I could never ever do without it I'd rather have a bad hook than no dark moment. But man i asked hard questions {I just did the tag myself and it took me forever}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elfie,
    Thank you dear!

    Anne,
    Thanks! Yeah, the questions were pretty hard, (I kept scratching my head trying to figure out my answers) but, that's a good thing, because hard questions really make people think- and that is always good. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.