Sunday, May 11, 2014

For My Mother

With much love to my dear mother....

A Prayer for a Mother's Birthday
Henry Van Dyke

Lord Jesus, Thou hast known
A mother's love and tender care:
And Thou wilt hear, while for my own
Mother most dear I make this birthday prayer.

Protect her life, I pray,
Who gave the gift of life to me;
And may she know, from day to day,
The deepening glow of Life that comes from Thee.

As once upon her breast
Fearless and well content I lay,
So let her heart, on Thee at rest,
Feel fears depart and troubles fade away.

Her every wish fulfill;
And even if Thou must refuse
In anything, let Thy wise will
A comfort bring such as kind mothers use.

Ah, hold her by the hand,
As once her hand held mine;
And though she may not understand
Life's winding way, lead her in peace divine.

I cannot pay my debt
For all the love that she has given;
But Thou, love's Lord, wilt not forget
Her due reward,--bless her in earth and heaven.




 Sonnets are Full of Love
Christina Rossetti

Sonnets are full of love, and this my tome

Has many sonnets: so here now shall be

One sonnet more, a love sonnet, from me

To her whose heart is my heart’s quiet home,

To my first Love, my Mother, on whose knee

I learnt love-lore that is not troublesome;

Whose service is my special dignity,

And she my loadstar while I go and come

And so because you love me, and because

I love you, Mother, I have woven a wreath

 Of rhymes wherewith to crown your honored name:

In you not fourscore years can dim the flame

Of love, whose blessed glow transcends the laws

Of time and change and mortal life and death.



Miss Melody Muffin
 

4 comments:

  1. That was sweet! Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were beautiful, Melody!! Hope your mom has a wonderful Mother's Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is it about Mother's Day posts that makes me almost cry?? Thanks, Lody -- this reminded me of my Grandma as well as my mom.
    -Elfie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was much too emotional to leave a comment yesterday when I read these.

    Many thanks to a beautiful daughter. For once you left me speechless.....but only for a while! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.