Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Friends are the Best Gift

Hi blog readers, I'm back!!!

I'm very sorry for all of the unannounced hiatuses I've been taking.  My life has kind of exploded and I'm trying to figure it out and get it to settle down and stop spinning around me.  So far, I'm not succeeding.  Have any of you figured out the secret?  If you do, let me know, please.  Then I can apply the formula to my life and have it make some sense finally.  :D

Today, I'm linking up with the Top Ten Tuesday weekly meme at The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's topic is Top Ten Books About Friendship.

I was looking at my bookshelves and my Kindle and realized that I don't read too many books that are just about friendship.  The books I read are usually about sooo much more than that.

1. The Lord of the Rings
The friendships in this trilogy are beautiful and powerful.  Not just the friendships of the Fellowship, but also between Aragorn and Eomer, Aragorn and Imrahil, Aragorn and Faramir, Gandalf and Faramir, Faramir and Frodo... and there are soooo many more, but I'll stop here.  :)

2. They Loved to Laugh
This book is wonderful and if you haven't read it, I recommend finding a copy and reading it as soon as you can.  It's THAT good.  The friendship that develops between a lonely, orphaned girl and five rowdy, teasing, tormenting boys is hilarious and priceless.

3. The Scarlet Pimpernel
This book is again, about so much more than friendship, but in my opinion, one of the most beautiful things about it and the other books in the series is the loyalty and friendship of the League for their Chief and for each other.  It is magnificent.

4. Eight Cousins
This will always be one of my favorite Alcott books.  It is delightful and a well-crafted story.  Clueless, coddled Rose is plunked down into the middle of her seven boy cousins... and lots of good, plain fun ensues.

5. Sherlock Holmes
How could I write a post on friendships and NOT mention this one?  The partnership and friendship of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson has become practically immortal.  Even people who haven't read the books or seen any of the adaptations still know what, 'The Watson to his Holmes,' means.

6. The Sacketts
The Sackett series is and always will be my favorite Louis L'Amour books.  The bond of blood that has become a code of honor to the members of this family and transcends time and generations is excellent.  My favorite Sackett book, and the one that I believe best illustrates this bond, is The Sackett Brand.  Pretty much the entire clan comes running to help get one of their own out of deep trouble.  (NOTE: I do not recommend this book for anyone under 14, due to content.)

7. A Tale of Two Cities
Friendship is just one of the plot threads in this book, but it is one of the most important threads, if not the most important.  Sydney Carton's friendship and love for the Darnay family and the act of self-sacrifice it leads him to, are incomparable.

8. Civil War Series
Joseph Altsheler's eight book series about two cousins who fight on opposing sides of the Civil War but remain best friends is terrific.  I loved it and so did my sister and brother.  You can find the whole series on Project Gutenberg.  The first book is called The Guns of Bull Run. (I have a review of this series in draft.  One of these days I'll finish it- hopefully sooner rather than later.)

9. Anne of Green Gables
Anne and Diana and their kindred spirit friendship is another long-time favorite of mine.  They are always there for each other in spirit, even when they can't be in body.

10. The Black Stallion
I don't think the meme said it had to be a friendship between people, so I am going to highlight this book.  It was one of my favorites all through my growing up years and still remains in my list of top 50 books.  The friendship and bond forged between a boy and a half-wild part-Arabian stallion on a lonely desert island is magnificent.


I hope you all had a great Tuesday and I plan to be posting more frequently now.


Miss Melody Muffin

4 comments:

  1. You're like the only person I know who's read They Loved To Laugh. *dies* I loved that book. It reminded me of Eight Cousins, but I Liked it better.

    LOTR is one of those, "DUuuuuh." things. OF COURSE it has the best friendship stories. IT'S TOLKIEN.

    lol. byyyye

    ReplyDelete
  2. FARAMIR

    HOLMES

    :O My brother has been telling me for eons to read some of the Altsheler Civil War books! (We even have a couple in hardcopy; but also yay Gutenberg!) I needta do that.

    And The Scarlet Pimpernel! Everybody I know has read it and loved it and I need to sooo bad because I love masked-man stories and Zorro and stuffs.

    Awesome post. So many good things to read! Friendship themes are fantabulous. *nods*

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sniffs* Sydney Carton.... Ohhhh, him.... I need to read the original book, but as a kid it was one of my favorite things.
    -Elfie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha - the only one of these I have not read is #8. I look forward to your series review...

    the rest...I love them all. And I see why we understand each other. We have read all the right books. XD

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.