Monday, August 4, 2014

Magda: Protector of the King

Er, that is, the hopeful King.

My friend Miss Jack Lewis Baillot has just released her fourth book:

A Test of Loyalty
Upon learning he is one of the sons of the now dead king, Prince Lachlan is forced to leave the only home he has ever known. Fleeing for his life, his step-brothers a step behind, Lachlan finds safety and friendship with a young seamstress named Magda, a hermit, an Elf, and two Dwarf brothers. Determined to keep the young prince alive, Magda and the others seek out help in the surrounding Nations. 

Everywhere they go, the fugitives are constantly turned away. They are followed by Lachlan's half- brothers who are determined to kill him so that one of them might take their father's crown and become the next king. With every place Lachlan is taken, his brothers close in and when the finally catch up Lachlan is forced to face the question that has been haunting him since he left home. 

Lachlan was saved in the hopes he would become a better king then his father and his brothers. But the last thing he wants is to sit on the throne. If he refuses the crown, will there be anyone willing to fight to keep him alive?


In honor of said release, she was able to wrangle interviews with some of her characters.  (If you don't believe she had to do some wrangling, you haven't read some of the interviews.)  It was my privilege to interview Magda.


Welcome to The Splendor Falls, Magda!

When does Stefan annoy you the most?
When he is especially hermit - y. He hasn't been as quiet and doesn't keep to himself as much as he did when we first met, but he still has days were he can go without saying a word to anyone and that annoys me. And I also always worry that maybe he is mad. It is hard to tell, his hermit expression and his mad expression are the same. He just sets his jaw and glowers at anything he looks at and it is hard to know if he is going to shove you in a snowbank or just ignore you.

 What is your least favourite animal?
 I - I don't think I know. Maybe bears, because they might eat me. Out of everyone in our company, I think I would be high on the dinner list. Unless Ennion is above me. I am sure Elves taste delicious. Though if it comes when Stefan is cooking it would ignore us all because his cooking is better then Elf and girl.

 Do you like to watch thunderstorms?
 Yes. But I like them better if I am inside. I don't like the idea of getting struck by lightening because I am outside watching a storm.

 Have you ever danced?
 Um...yes. A little. I don't know if it is real dancing though. I attempted it. But, I spent more time on my partner's feet then my own.

 Does Ennion ever say or do things that make you angry?
 Not really. He is easy to get along with and it takes a lot of work to get angry with him. I guess I do sometimes because it is hard to be around someone as much as I am around him and NOT become angry. But there is no particular thing he does that upsets me.

 If you weren't on this quest to keep Lachlan safe, what would  you be doing?
 I would be with my mother, sewing, dreaming of the day I met a dashing prince and got married. (Kind of funny, now that I look back on it. All of my childhood dreams were of marrying a prince, now I am running away from three of them who would like nothing better then to stab me in the back. I think I am done with princes and I'd rather marry a.....Hm, I don't know. What is the opposite of a prince?)
A hermit.  What?  It is!

 If you had known about all the dangers you would face on this quest, would you still have chosen to undertake it?
 I'd like to say yes...but to be honest, I don't think I would have.

 When do you like Golon and Cordon the most?
 When they are tormenting each other, or Ennion. Or Stefan. Just any time they are trying to make everything better by insulting someone else in our company.

Thank you for this interview, Magda!


You can find A Test of Loyalty on Lulu HERE and on Amazon HERE.  Visit Jack's blog for more information about the book, and to find all the interviews together in one place.


Miss Melody Muffin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.