Friday, November 21, 2014

I Finished NaNo... Now What?

I finished NaNo.

Yes, that's right.  This evening at about 6:00 I finished writing today's section, validated my novel on the NaNo site and officially won NaNoWriMo.

And now I'm utterly exhausted.

The MCs of this year's NaNo really put me through a lot.  I didn't realize how much of my energy the last week and half wasn't energy but rather adrenalin.  It kept me going, kept me reaching for the goal... but now that the goal is reached, I just want to curl up with some drama, something sweet to eat and REST.  The reaction has set in - disbelief that I reached the goal, relief that I reached the goal... and exhaustion.

The last couple of days I put some thought into what I would do after I finished the 50,000 words.  Last year, after I reached 50,000 words, I kept writing until that novel was done.  But, I'm not going to do that this year.

Sub Rosa needs a break.  I'm not very happy with the section I wrote today.  There is something missing and I need to figure out what before I can move forward with the novel.  I don't know how long of a rest from it I'll need.  Hopefully it will only be a week or so, while I recover from the adrenalin high of NaNo- just long enough to take a step back and re-examine Sub Rosa under different lights.


In the meantime, there are several novels clamoring for my attention:
Ebony and Aubergine, the first novel in the Lion and Rose series, and the novel I set aside to write Sub Rosa for NaNo
To See The Stars and The Stars Come Forth, the first and second novels in the Stellumo series
Oath of Loyalty and Pearl of Loyalty, the first and second novels in the Fidelitas series
Venit Hora, the first novel in the Three Kyngdoms series

Yeah, no lack of projects to choose from until I can figure out what I need to do differently with Sub Rosa.  :D  Stellumo will probably win out.  Their characters have been hounding me for the last few days.

To all of you who supported and encouraged me during this NaNo, THANK YOU.

And to all of you who are still working on your NaNo novels, BEST WISHES.  Go for the gold!!


Miss Melody Muffin

4 comments:

  1. Hurrah! *Confetti* Hearty congratulations from the Peanut Gallery on your exciting win! Virtual cookies, pats on the back, and mugs o' Root Beer!

    Enjoy your rest, girlie--you've earned it. :-D
    God bless,
    ~"Tom"~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!

    I do agree that some years you have to just let the book sit once you hit that 50,000. Mine was that way last year. I had some adrenaline rush chapters for my last few thousand words, and then the suddenly, the pace dropped as soon as I hit 50,000. I still haven't finished it, but I intend to, after I get some other items out of the way.

    This year's has been a keep going (though I knew it would be) I want to hit 100,000 before the end of the month, and I only have 16,000 left to do that. It depends on the book, the pacing, and where you ended. This year, I landed at the scene when the tension just starts twisting up tighter. And, yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Venit Hora wins!!!!!!! I am STILL waiting to read it!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So wonderful you finished!!! That is exciting!! But it does mean you have yet another book I now want to read and must wait for, even if it isn't finished yet. The moment you publish anything I am going to be at the front lines to buy it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.