Thursday, January 15, 2015

Book Review: Woodcutter Quince

The latest Bookania Short Story by Kendra E. Ardnek.


http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/A1GO56stguL._SL1500_.jpg


TYPE/GENRE: Fiction, Fantasy/fairy tale
SERIES: Bookania Short Stories
LENGTH: 25 pages
RATING: 10 out of 10
READ ALOUD:    5 out of 5
SOURCES: Amazon


Synopsis:
In the depths of Black forest, strange creatures are rumored to exist.  Casperl isn't sure he's seen any of them, but he does know that there is a princess trapped on top of an enchanted mountain.  Only a true prince can free her.  He's certainly not one.


My Review:
Having met Casperl in the two published novels of The Bookania Quests, I came to this story thinking that I would find out about Casperl's origins.  Well, I did... but then again, I didn't.  This short story follows Casperl from babyhood to adulthood, but many parts of his history are still a mystery- to be revealed in a future book, Kendra has said.

This story focuses on Casperl and the Mountain Princess, or Doranna, as those who have read the other Bookania books know her- a sweet princess who is brilliant at math, has a fondness for birds and possesses a speech deficiency that makes it a little difficult for anyone meeting her for the first time to understand her.  We meet a couple new Bookania characters and one we already know well from Sew, It's a Quest and Do You Take This Quest?.

I enjoyed this story, and would recommend it to anyone who likes fun, quirky fairy tales.  It is suitable for children of all ages.  I read it aloud to my siblings one afternoon during Christmas break and they loved it.


Favorite scenes:
Doranna covering up the painting of Grumadam.
Every scene with Eric in it. :)


Miss Melody Muffin

4 comments:

  1. Yeah ... I only added to the mystery, didn't I.

    And ... it's not 132 pages ... (shish-kabobs, MY KINGDOM FOR A QUEST is only 115) . For some weird reason, it linked to the print copy of the collection - that's the length after you add CinderEddy and the Sun Jewel Adventure and give it a bigger font. I think 25 pages would be closer, since it's shorter than CinderEddy, and Amazon has that book at 28.

    I'm trying to figure out how to separate the two books, but haven't figured it out yet. Terribly frustrating and all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You most certainly did. :)

      Ach, thanks for catching that. I can't believe I didn't see that and go, "Huh?" I've edited the post to adjust that.

      Hmm, sounds pretty aggravating. Amazon can be rather difficult at times. I hope you can get it figured out!

      Delete
  2. Oh, thank you for the link!!!!! I downloaded all of the free ones and plan to read them soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I look forward to hearing what you think of the books.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.