Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Ice and Snow and Thaws... and New Books!!


http://imageprocessor.websimages.com/width/300/crop/0,0,300x186/1.bp.blogspot.com/--CF_J1dmjJg/U8QtvFNHKuI/AAAAAAAAAXI/fJsMpUHZh1M/s1600/Thaw+.jpg

I love fairy tales.  I especially like fairy tale retellings.  As great as the original fairy tales are, re-telling them gives a reader an entirely new perspective into the fairy tale, as well as being another book to read and potentially add to the shelf of favorites.

A friend emailed me a few nights ago about a new fairy tale series being published?  I immediately rushed over to the author's website and eagerly read the post.  The series sounded so interesting that I emailed the author at once about joining the blog tour.

http://imageprocessor.websimages.com/width/296/crop/0,0,296x426/3.bp.blogspot.com/-PwxcjAN5UOw/VKsy7Zb1VzI/AAAAAAAAAco/oXtx77r4aPY/s1600/Thaw%2B%2BWCh%2Bpromo.jpg


A barren king and queen pray for a child, and when in their loneliness, they make one out of snow, their prayers are answered in a special and unusual way.

Sometimes, when we get what we wish for, we don't know what to do with it.

Combining elements from the Snow Maiden, Schneekind, Snegurochka tales with those of the Snow Queen; Winter's Child introduces a new series: THAW.




http://imageprocessor.websimages.com/width/296/crop/0,0,296x438/4.bp.blogspot.com/-ge9wBBUjxWE/VKsxCPgJqYI/AAAAAAAAAcM/C-I1s-Xd8I4/s1600/Thaw%2B%2BWQu%2Bpromo.jpg


A slightly pampered girl allows her avoidance behavior to isolate her from the world... and it's only when she takes the final step that she realizes the wall she's built in the name of safety is also the one that will hold her prisoner forever... unless she discovers how to destroy it.

The only one who can break a neurosis... is the one who has it.

Combining elements from the Snow Maiden, Schneekind, Snegurochka tales with those of the Snow Queen; Winter Queen continues a new series: THAW.




http://imageprocessor.websimages.com/width/300/crop/0,0,300x433/2.bp.blogspot.com/-m0ChfGBLqeg/VKsxCHHDMXI/AAAAAAAAAcQ/_EDbd4zs9x0/s1600/Thaw%2BPrD%2Bpromo.jpg

Coming Soon

The whole world knows his guilt, and is absolutely correct about it, but how far can a man go to regain respect so swiftly lost?

Or is an honorable death the best a fallen star can hope for?

The only person who can help him... is the one he most deeply wronged.

 Prince of Demargen is third in a new series: THAW.



There will be at least one more book in the series and some spin-off books, too, which you can find more about here: http://ekaiserwrites.webs.com/books



My interview with the author:
Were there certain songs you listened to while writing this series?
(Music it such a huge influence on my writing that I always wonder how much is has influenced other authors.)
I actually am a silence writer... I only have music on if there are other sounds that need drowned out. :)  I do love music, but when it's on I have to be listening to it, and I can't write and listen at the same time!  I guess that's because I'm the kind of person that "hears the lyrics"... and I think about the meanings and the tunes, even in an instrumental piece.
I didn't use to listen to music when I wrote, but I started doing it four or five years ago and now it fuels my writing and I can't seem to write very well without it.
We all have our own methods! ;)


I always like to ask at least one question about the author herself (or himself) in an author interview... your blog mentions that you train animals. What kind of animals do you train?
We grew up training our goats, and then my sisters have made horse training their business. I've helped them out by training a couple every now and then, but I'm not as horse crazy. (So I am the computer tech/phone answerer for them.)
Horses!!! I love horses and have trained a few. I received my own horse when she was 2 and I trained her.
My favorite animals are the dogs, we have Belgian Shepherds and I train them. I've gotten Abi to join me in doing that, so we were able to get a video of us doing double dog drills... It's a lot of fun. They're also completely gorgeous, so that makes it even more fun.
I've never been a dog person (cats are more my thing) but I agree that Belgian Shepherds are good looking dogs.


What was the first fairy tale you remember reading when you were a child?
The Hobbit was the first fantasy story I remember really clearly, Mom read it aloud to us when I was seven. It's not a fairytale, and I didn't read it, but it formed my love of the fantastical.
The Hobbit is one of my favorite books of all time.
Mine too!


Was there a Disney Princess movie you watched over and over when you were little?  (For me, it was Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin.)
Actually, my parents weren't big into movies for us kids, we always had the great outdoors and animals and were encouraged to use them!  :) My favorites were books, and although I read a ton of them, I can't say I had a "favorite fairytale"... though I always felt an affinity to Cinderella, she looked the most like me, with her hair a little darker then blonde, but not quite brown. She is one of my inspirations.
After I turned 5, we didn't watch movies much anymore either.  Cinderella was one of the first fairy tales I remember reading, but it never captured my imagination quite the same way some of the other fairy tales did.
We watched one here or there, often at someone else's house, so we did see Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Lady and the Tramp, etc. From reading, I didn't really catch on to any of them... probably the Snow Maiden was about the most "sticking".
Aladdin has been a favorite of mine for my entire life. I think I was 2 when the movie came out and then a few years later I read an abridged version of it for the first time and loved it even more. I'm pretty sure it was that tale which began my fascination with Arabia.
Beauty and the Beast has also been a top favorite of mine, as has The Wild Swans/The Swan Brothers (depending on which version you're reading the title changes and I can never remember which is the more common title).
Ah! My first contact with Aladdin was in the Arabian Nights book... and it was set in China. Arabia is still a super interesting place, though!  Ah... and the one brother has a swan arm the rest of his life... That always seemed so sad to me!
China is also a vastly fascinating place.  Aw, yes, I always thought that too!


The cover art: was it all digital manipulation or was there traditional art involved as well?
I did the art on paper... and we changed the art for Winter's Child once on the way to publication. The original thought had a close up of Ilise, but when I did it we didn't like it, even after taking it into Photoshop and trying to work it there.  So I intended to redo it, then got the idea to make both Ilise and Girta in the garden, with roses.  Originally Ilise had a blue dress, then the color got darker, until it was deep navy.
I love the color play on that cover.
Thanks! Glad you think it's good! I didn't like the dark color, so I went back and made a new dress... and this time we went with gold. It was a good move!  Then we went into Photoshop and Abi and I combined all three versions to get what we have now.
It's beautiful. I love all three covers.  I think my favorite is The Winter Queen cover.
AH!!! Glad you like it!!! Her face was one of the first parts I did... and that castle was a challenge, trying to make it look like it was ice/snow.


Were there any parts in the Thaw series that were particularly hard to write?
Hmm... I did run into some places where I couldn't move forward for a while, but that is basically the normal way of writers! Sometimes I'd get stuck on how a scene should go... but after giving it a rest, it'd eventually come! I'm a non-chronological writer, so I'd try to skip ahead to the scenes that were working, and come back later.
I should try that the next time a scene isn't working for me. I'm usually a chronological writer- I think it's my perfectionism. I'll scribble down snippets or skeletons of upcoming scenes, but I feel like I have to write the story itself chronologically.



Last question: what is your favorite flower?
I am actually not much of a flowery-girl, so that's a hard question. I guess I have a special fondness for dandelions, because they are indomitable and unstoppable. Do you know that they can crack concrete?
I have heard that.
They're a good role model.


E, thank you very much for this interview and for answering all of my questions!  It's been a real pleasure!!
Thanks for the chat, Melody!!!


About the Author:
http://imageprocessor.websimages.com/width/216/crop/0,0,216x173/ekaiserwrites.webs.com/E%20w%20M&G.jpg

E. Kaiser Writes credits her nearly nomadic childhood for the vast reach of her fictional worlds; she has lived (and gotten to known the locals) in the Rocky Mtns, the Smoky Mtns, the plains, the deep forest, the searing Texas summer and frozen Minnesota north.

She wears many hats: writer and editor of ad copy, web copy, office correspondence & fiction; a cowgirl, animal trainer, seamstress, jeweler, artist and... authoress!

You can connect with her on her blog: http://ekaiserwritesablog.blogspot.com/
Her website: http://ekaiserwrites.webs.com/
On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/E-Kaiser-Writes-Author-Illustrator/308540109167073
On Twitter: https://twitter.com/ekaiserwrites
On Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/ekaiserwrites/
You can find her books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/E.-Kaiser-Writes/e/B006RY1L2E


To celebrate the launch of this series, Elizabeth is hosting a Rafflecopter giveaway at her blog:
http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/1c7f78455/



Miss Melody Muffin

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me, Melody! It was a pleasure chatting with you!
    Can't wait to hear who's your favorite character from Thaw!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are definitely something im checking out. Love the covers!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.