Thursday, January 8, 2015

Year in Review: 2014

Why does it feel like only two months ago that I was writing this for 2013????

I always wait until after the new year has started to make these kind of posts, because I can organize my thoughts better that way.  That said, I've been trying to finish this post for a WEEK.  I have concluded that Time and Life have become co-conspirators and have determined to throw kinks in every single schedule ever written.

I'm not calling these New Year's Resolutions anymore because they aren't- they are goals I'd LIKE to accomplish in the new year, but not ones I'm resolved to meet or die.  :)

How I did with last year's goals:
Reading:
  • Read one pre 1925 text for every one of the modern ebooks I just downloaded from Amazon that I read.  Mostly, I think.  I need to check my lists to be sure.
  • Read 5 Dickens: Little Dorrit, The Pickwick Papers, Our Mutual Friend, Great Expectations, Bleak House.  Nope.  Only ONE- Little Dorrit- which I loved. 
  • More beta reading!!!  I'm in the middle of several fun stories right now, some of which I am very eager to see published.  I did a fair amount of beta reading in 2014 so I definitely accomplished this goal.
Drama:
  • Watch more Kdrama- I have a HUGE list of ones I want to see.  Yeah... I think I definitely kept this one :), though I didn't watch as much as I wanted to.
  • Since I didn't do it last year, watch all the Jane Austen adaptations made since 1980 that I haven't seen yet.  I fell woefully short of accomplishing this goal.  I think I saw... two? adaptations.
  • See several Shakespeare adaptations, including The Hollow Crown with the excellent actor Tom Hiddleston in my favorite Shakespeare play- Henry V.  Didn't accomplish this either.
  • Watch The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.   Yes.  Mixed feelings about it, but basically, PJ did a great job on the movie, even though I don't like some of the changes he made.  (Tauriel however, I loved.)
Blogging:
  • Post at least once a week.  Nope.  Did NOT happen.
  • Post more book and movie reviews.  Book reviews- yes, movie reviews- no.
Writing:
  • Finish editing most of the typos out of Oath of Loyalty.  I finished this in March.
  • Finish the first draft of the first book in the Three Kyngdoms series, at the moment tentatively titled Venit Hora.  Finished this in May.
  • Finish the first draft of the first book in the Quara series, The Land Beyond the Sunset.  No.  I tried once or twice, but other stories swept me along to work on them and this one kind of got left behind, poor thing.
  • Start the first draft of To See The Stars (formerly known as FAMILY).  Yes.  Wrote chapters one and two.
  • Start the first draft of the sequel to Oath of Loyalty.  Yes.  I wrote about three chapters before I realized the plot needed major reworking- which necessitated a whole new outline.
  • Write at least 500 words a day, six days a week.  Noooo.  Sadly.
  • Participate in NaNoWriMo again.  YES.
  • Start the first draft of new book, temporarily titled Sub RosaYes.
Other:
  • Ride my horse more.  No- mostly thanks to injuries.

What else I accomplished in 2014:
Reading
  • Read 103 books and 15 short stories.  This total does not include the two dozen books and short stories I read and then deleted from my Kindle because they were boring/ I didn't like them.
Drama
  • Watched a lot of drama these last few months while being injured, and saw a fair amount the other months as well
  • Watched my first Chinese movie and Chinese drama
  • Started watching a few Spanish dramas
    Blogging
    • Posted several book reviews
    • Participated in several cover reveals and book blog tours
    • Took part in the Scribbler's Conference Anne-girl hosted in February
    • Participated in the June Crusade
    • Wrote a guest post for Kiri Liz's Valentine's Party

    Writing
    • Reached 50,000 words and won NaNoWriMo with my novel Sub Rosa, though that only half finished the novel
    • Wrote the first scenes for all of the Quivira novels I spotlighted in the June Crusade and a few others as well
    • Started a short story called To Dance All Night that is a Regency retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses
    • Started plotting the other books in the Stellumo series
    • Started plotting a Beauty and the Beast retelling
    • Wrote a grand total of 197,795 words
    Other
    • Joined a language exchange site where I can practice learning a language with native speakers, and in return help those people learn my native language
    • Tutored someone in learning English, using above site
    • Made a few friends through that site
    • Injured my hip and shoulder in January when I fell on a patch of ice
    • Severely sprained my ankle and tore muscles in my foot in October
    What?  Injuries ARE accomplishments of sorts, aren't they?  (Accomplishments I'd MUCH rather have done without, believe me!!)  But, anyway, counting them as accomplishments might help me keep an optimistic outlook- it's an experiment I'm trying.  :)


    Goals for 2015
    Reading
    • Read 80-100 books this year
    • Proof read at least one book a week for my younger siblings
    • Keep copious lists of books read, and help my younger siblings with their lists (I'm a listmaniac.)
    • Work up a schedule for my beta reading so I can possibly fit in even more than I'm already doing now
    Drama
    • Watch the Avengers: Age of Ultron
    • Rewatch The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (when it comes out on DVD and either my sister Butterfly or myself adds it to our collection)
    • Finish all of the Korean and Japanese series I'm currently in the middle of
    • Re-watch City Hunter with my Mom and introduce her to a few more Kdramas
    • Finish watching Psych (unless I grow too bored to finish it), and The West Wing
    • Catch up on Once Upon a Time and Agents of Shield
    Blogging
    • Participate in several upcoming cover reveals and blog tours for books being released this year.
    • Post a bunch of LOTR/Hobbit character analyses that have been kicking around in my head for a while 
    • Participate in most or all of my favorite monthly writer link-ups such as Beautiful People and Snippets of Story, to name two.
    • Post one book review a week, on Thursdays, beginning next week
    • Post several movie/TV series reviews
    • Review a few webseries I've been watching
    • Return to some of my weekly blog features like Quote of the Week and Poem of the Week
    • Finish writing and post some of the ninety posts I currently have in draft
    • Possibly sign up with a few publishing companies and blogs as an ARC book reviewer
    Writing
    • Finish the second draft of Oath of Loyalty 
    • Decide if Oath of Loyalty needs any more rewrites or if it will then be ready to face editing and then publishing
    • Edit Oath of Loyalty
    • Possibly, just POSSIBLY, publish Oath of Loyalty
    • Finish the first draft of Ebony and Aubergine
    • Finish the second draft of Venit Hora
    • Restart the first draft of Pearl of Loyalty
    • Finish the first draft of The Land Beyond the Sunset and outline other books in the Quara series- my siblings have been begging me to for months
    • Finish outlining the books in the Fidelitas (Oath of Loyalty) series
    • Possibly write more of Sub Rosa.  After NaNo it needed to sit and jell for a while, and I don't know if I'll be ready to write any more of it this year or not.
    • Participate in NaNoWriMo again
    • Possibly write more of the first draft of To See The Stars
    • More plotting and worldbuilding in the world of Quivira.  I'd love to actually start writing one of the novels I posted about for the June Crusade last year but I don't know if that will happen or not.
    • Finish To Dance All Night
    • Finish The Mystery of the Missing Christhday Cookies, a Quara short story I'm writing as a birthday present for my brother Dino
    Other
    • Finish recovering from the severe ankle injury I sustained in early Oct, resulting in torn muscles, a sprained ankle and other things.  There have been complications in the recovery... and I'm still mostly confined to a chair.  By spring, I'd like to be able to run and ride my horse, though time will only tell if that will be pushing things too much.  One way or another, I'm determined to recover all my old strength and mobility, tough as it's going to be.
    • Do a lot more emailing
    • Learn how to play chess and then teach my younger siblings how
    •  Finish at least one of my Spanish courses
    • Finish the Korean course I've started
    • Continue my correspondence on Conversation Exchange, the language exchange site I mentioned above
    • Keep indoctrinating, er... sharing, King Arthur stories and fairy tales with my younger siblings
    • Read The Hobbit to my younger sister


    I am, apparently, a very ambitious person.


    Have a happy, busy 2015!!



    Miss Melody Muffin

    1 comment:

    1. Wow.... That's a lot!!!


      I can play chess! It's really fun :) some of the peoples kids are are really good. One boy won the TN state championship.

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.