Thursday, February 5, 2015

In Lieu of a Book Review....

I didn't post a book review last Thursday and I don't have one today either.  I've been too busy working on my language studies.  I need to schedule my time differently, I guess.  :)

Instead of posting a review, I'm going to post a list of books I read last year.  I'm not going to list all the books I read (that would be a looong list!) but I am going to list all the ones I found notable for one reason or another.

I'm planning to write reviews for all of these... so look for those this year... sometime.  :)



Graustark - George Barr McCutcheon
Beverly of Graustark - George Barr McCutcheon
Truxton King - George Barr McCutcheon
The Prince of Graustark - George Barr McCutcheon
Lady Molly of Scotland Yard - Baroness Emmuska Orczy
The Rock of Chickamauga - Joseph Altsheler
The Shades of the Wilderness - Joseph Altsheler
 The Tree of Appomattox - Joseph Altsheler
Brewster's Millions - George Barr McCutcheon
Right Ho, Jeeves - P. G. Wodehouse
Twelfth Nightb- Shakespeare (this was actually a re-read)
Miss Billy - Eleanor Porter (the author of Pollyanna)
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll
Beaumaroy Home From the Wars- Anthony Hope
The Chronicles of Count Antonio - Anthony Hope
Sophy of Kravonia- Anthony Hope (INTRIGUING)
His Last Bow - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Sign of the Four - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Valley of Fear -  Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Haphazardly Implausible - Jack Lewis Baillot (totally fun)
A Stretch of Loyalty - Jack Lewis Baillot
Daddy Long-Legs - Jean Webster (hilarious)
Dear Enemy - Jean Webster (sequel to previous, even funnier)
The Wheat Princess - Jean Webster (really liked this one)
Lochinvar - Samuel Rutherford Crockett
Charity Girl - Georgette Heyer
The Masqueraders - Georgette Heyer (had me howling)
Friday's Child - Georgette Heyer
False Colours - Georgette Heyer
Behold, Here's Poison - Georgette Heyer
Envious Casca - Georgette Heyer
The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins  (I finally understand why it's so popular)
THG: Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins (ow)
THG: Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins (OWW)
Bardelys the Magnificent - Rafael Sabatini
The Sea-Hawk- Rafael Sabatini (MAGNIFICENT)
The Innocence of Father Brown - G.K. Chesterton
Little Dorrit - Charles Dickens
Plenilune - Jennifer Freitag  (review HERE)
Five Glass Slippers - Various (terrific book)
Woodcutter Quince - Kendra E. Ardnek (review HERE)
The First Star To Fall - Diana Peterfreund
Among the Nameless Stars - Diana Peterfreund
Fall For You: Jane Austen Academy - Cecilia Gray
A Passion Most Pure - Julie Lessman
Ashes of Roses - Christine Pope
Home to Walnut Ridge - Diane Moody
Lady of Devices - Shelley Adina
In Between: A Katie Parker Production - Jenny B. Jones
The Princess Spy - Melanie Dickerson
Marking Time - April White (surprisingly, really liked this one)


Have any of you read any of the books on this list?  What did you think of them?  What titles that you have not read sound the most interesting to you?


Miss Melody Muffin

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE RIGHT HO JEEVES AND FATHER BROWN!!! :D The Princess Spy was awesome. :D

    And I'm reading Plenilune and want to read Haphazardly Implausible and Five Glass Slippers. *nod nod*

    And I need to get around to some Altsheler one of these days... my brother keeps trying to get me to. ;)

    Also some more Georgette Heyer... this HAS to happen! *flail* Now that I've read The Grand Sophy, what's the second best? :D (Or... the next one I should read... or... the most like The Grand Sophy?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like Plenilune, Haphazardly Implausible and Five Glass Slippers. :)

      Altsheler is pretty good. The first book of his that I read was Before the Dawn, set in Richmond during the Civil War. I really liked it. All of his Civil War books are really good.

      ALWAYS READ MORE HEYER. :D Hmmm, if you started with The GRand Sophy, I'd recommend reading Frederica next. It's a hoot, though rather different from The Grand Sophy.

      Delete
    2. Okay, I shall! :D

      His Civil War books and his Texas books are tooootally on my list. :D

      And thanks for the recommendation!!! I shall read that one next, then, as it is at the library. Woot! :D *now just needs to find time to get to the library* It looks awesome. XD

      Delete
  2. Do you want to know something crazy? I have only read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland! I have not read any of the other books on that list!

    Hey, how do you keep track of all the books you read? Do you keep track of them in your head? I would forget them all, I know it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WAH, YOU MUST REMEDY THIS!!! :D Really though, if you get the time, try Daddy Long-Legs and Dear Enemy and the Wheat Princess from Gutenberg. They're really good and the first two have landed a permanent place on our shelves. The older girls here have all read them and when the kids get a little older, we'll read them out loud.

      AND YOU HAVE TO TRY HEYER SOMETIME. SHE'S AMAZING.

      Delete
  3. Wow--That's quite the list, girlie! (And you say you actually read more?? Double wow!) My reading list for the past year could probably fit on one hand.... :-(

    Have any of you read any of the books on this list? What did you think of them? Yes, actually:

    ~Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll (A bit odd--very like a real-life dream in that nothing makes sense...but I believe I liked both books when I read them...er...over a decade ago....)

    ~His Last Bow, The Sign of the Four, The Valley of Fear - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Among other Sherlock Holmes mysteries. :-D I love Holmes' deductive powers and Doyle's writing style...apart from some mild language issues.)

    What titles that you have not read sound the most interesting to you?

    ~Little Dorrit - Charles Dickens (We saw the miniseries a couple years ago, but I'd really like to read the book and fill in the gaps.)

    ~Right Ho, Jeeves - P. G. Wodehouse (I read Carry On, Jeeves several years ago but didn't care for it, even though a friend assured me these books are funny. I'm curious to see if any of the other books in the series are better.)

    ~Daddy Long-Legs - Jean Webster (Saw the movie with Leslie Carron and Fred Astaire, but heard it changed a lot from the book, so now I'm curious)

    ~Dear Enemy - Jean Webster (If I like Daddy Long-Legs, of course I'll want to read the sequel!)

    And one of these days, I simply MUST read the Scarlet Pimpernel books,The Little White Horse (Elizabeth Gouge), The Phantom Tollbooth, the "cleaned-up" version of The Count of Monte Cristo and...oh, about half a million other books I've heard about. The other half-million are still in the heads of my fellow scribblers. ;-)

    God bless, and best wishes with your language studies!
    ~"Tom"~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, well, I DID wind up sitting on my backside for the last three months of the year. :) Lots of time to read.

      I read Alice and Looking Glass when a friend started writing a re-write of the two and I had no clue what the original was like, thus, I read them so I would know what she was talking about as I beta read her novel. Both were quite interesting. I liked Looking Glass better than Alice.

      SHERLOCK HOLMES IS SUPERB. 'Nuff said. :D

      Little Dorrit was a great book, but it took me a few months to read through. I read several lighter books at the same time. That seems to be the way I read all Dickens, for some reason.

      After I read Daddy Long-Legs, I looked up the movie and it sounded so different I decided I didn't think I'd want to watch it. I definitely recommend reading the book. It's hilarious and the sequel kept me in stitches.

      YOU HAVEN'T READ THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL BOOKS?????!!!!!! TOM, YOU MUST READ AT LEAST THE FIRST ONE SOON!!!!!!!

      I want to read The Little White Horse, too. I saw the movie that is based off of it - The Secret of Moonacre- and liked it, so I'm definitely planning to read the book and see how it compares.

      ;) Us fellow scribblers are doing our best to put them down on paper and maybe you'll be able to read them before you are old and gray. :)

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.