Sunday, March 1, 2015

His Was the Most... Human

Instead of a single Quote of the Week, as a tribute to Leonard Nimoy, who died on Friday, I'm going to post several of my favorite Spock quotes- both spoken by him and about him.

Nimoy's iconic character Spock fascinated me from the moment I first saw him onscreen.  His cool, detached logic and his dry, sarcastic comments remain some of my favorite things about Star Trek.  The character of Spock was also a help to me in some emotionally turbulent times a few years ago.  When my emotions would start to boil, I would close my eyes and think of some snarky comment that Spock would have made.  (My family didn't always appreciate the snark, though, and at least once Spock was accused of having had a bad influence on me.  :D)

Mr. Nimoy, you will be missed.  Rest in Peace.


[Kirk has asked his crew for their opinions regarding the threat of the Romulans]
Spock: If we had not crossed the Neutral Zone, on your order, you would not now need our opinions to support a decision which should never have had to be made.


[Spock has hoodwinked the Romulan commander to help steal the Romulans' cloaking device]
Romulan Commander: You must be mad.
Spock: I assure you, I am quite sane.
Romulan Commander: Why would you do this to me? What are you that you could do this?
Spock: First Officer of the Enterprise.


Mr. Spock: Doctor, if I were able to show emotion, your new infatuation with that term would begin to annoy me.
Dr. McCoy: What term? 'Logic'? Medical men are trained in logic, Mr. Spock.
Mr. Spock: Really, Doctor? I had no idea they were trained. Watching you, I assumed it was trial and error.


Edith Keeler: You know as well as I do how out of place you two are around here.
Spock: Interesting. Where would you estimate we belong, Miss Keeler?
Edith Keeler: [to Spock] You? At his side, as if you've always been there and always will.
Edith Keeler: [to Kirk] And you... you belong... in another place.


Capt. Kirk: You were actually enjoying my predicament back there. At times, you seem quite human.
Spock: Captain, I hardly believe that insults are within your prerogative as my commanding officer.
Capt. Kirk: Sorry.


Edith Keeler: What... what on earth is that?
Spock: I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bearskins.


Spock: [to Captain Kirk] I'll finish with the furnace.
Edith Keeler: [to Captain Kirk] "Captain." Even when he doesn't say it, he does.


Spock: Stonn, she is yours. After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.


Dr. McCoy: There's just one thing, Mr. Spock. You can't tell me that when you first saw Jim alive that you weren't on the verge of giving us an emotional scene that would have brought the house down.
Spock: Merely my quite logical relief that Starfleet had not lost a highly proficient captain.
Captain James T. Kirk: Yes, Mr. Spock, I understand.
Spock: Thank you, Captain.
Dr. McCoy: Of course, Mr. Spock. Your reaction was quite logical.
Spock: Thank you, Doctor.
[Kirk and Spock head for the exit]
Dr. McCoy: In a pig's eye!


Dr. McCoy: Spock, I don't know too much about these little tribbles yet, but there is one thing that I have discovered.
Spock: What is that, Doctor?
Dr. McCoy: I like them... better than I like you.
Spock: Doctor?
Dr. McCoy: Yes?
Spock: They do indeed have one redeeming characteristic.
Dr. McCoy: What's that?
Spock: They do not talk too much. If you'll excuse me, sir.


Captain Kirk: Well, opinions?
Chekov: I think we're in a lot of trouble.
Captain Kirk: That's a great help, Mr. Chekov. Bones?
McCoy: I think Chekov's right, we are in a lot of trouble.
Captain Kirk: Spock, if you say we're in a lot of trouble...
Spock: We are.


McCoy: Well, you must be very unhappy, Mr. Spock.
Spock: That is a human emotion, Doctor, with which I am totally unfamiliar. How could I be "unhappy?"
McCoy: Well, we found a whole world of minds that work just like yours - logical, unemotional, completely pragmatic - and we poor, irrational humans whipped them in a fair fight. Now you'll find yourself back among us illogical humans again.
Spock: Which I find eminently satisfactory, Doctor, for nowhere am I so desperately needed as among a shipload of illogical humans.


Capt. Kirk: You're not going to admit that for the first time in your life you committed a purely human, emotional act?
Spock: No, sir.
Capt. Kirk: Mr. Spock, you're a stubborn man.
Spock: Yes, sir.


Dr. McCoy: Mr. Spock, remind me to tell you that I'm sick and tired of your logic.
Spock: That is a most illogical attitude.


Amanda: And you, Sarek, would you also say thank you to your son?
Sarek: I don't understand.
Amanda: For saving your life.
Sarek: Spock acted in the only logical manner open to him. One does not thank logic, Amanda.
Amanda: Logic! Logic! I'm sick to death of logic! Do you want to know how I feel about your logic?
Spock: Emotional, isn't she?
Sarek: She has always been that way.
Spock: Indeed. Why did you marry her?
Sarek: At the time it seemed the logical thing to do.


Dr. McCoy: Your pulse is two hundred and forty-two. Your blood pressure is practically non-existent. Assuming you call that green stuff in your veins blood...
Spock: The readings are perfectly normal for me, Doctor, thank you. And as for my anatomy being different from yours, I am delighted.


Lieutenant Dave Bailey: Raising my voice back there doesn't mean I was scared or couldn't do my job, it means I happen to have a human thing called an adrenalin gland.
Mr. Spock: That sounds most inconvenient, however. Have you considered having it removed?
Lieutenant Dave Bailey: Very funny.
Sulu: [grinning] Try and cross brains with Spock, he'll cut you to pieces every time.


Mr. Spock: Has it occurred to you that there is a certain... inefficiency in constantly questioning me on things you've already made up your mind about?
Capt. Kirk: It gives me emotional security.


Dr. McCoy: Hope? I always thought that was a human failing, Mr. Spock.
Spock: True, doctor. Constant exposure does result in a certain degree of - contamination.


Dr. McCoy: Well, Mr. Spock, if you're going into the lion's den, you'll need a medical officer.
Spock: Daniel, as I recall, had only his faith, but I welcome your company, Doctor.


Dr. McCoy: You're gonna leave here without them and run off on some wild goose chase halfway across the galaxy, just because you found a discrepancy in a hydrogen cloud?
Spock: Doctor, I am chasing the captain, Lieutenant Uhura, and Ensign Chekov, not some wild aquatic fowl.


Capt. Kirk: Bones.
Dr. McCoy: Hmm?
Capt. Kirk: Why do you think the symptoms haven't appeared on Mr. Spock?
Dr. McCoy: I don't know. Probably the little bugs or whatever they are have no appetite for green blood.
Mr. Spock: Hmm. Being a red-blooded human obviously has its disadvantages.


Captain Spock: Don't grieve, Admiral. It is logical. The needs of the many outweigh...
Kirk: ...the needs of the few.
Captain Spock: Or the one. I have been and always shall be your friend. Live long and prosper.



I shall end with one of the most quoted scenes from Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan.  It's one of the most quoted for a reason- it's an absolutely beautiful, heartwrenching scene.

Kirk: [eulogizing Spock] We are assembled here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. And yet it should be noted, in the midst of our sorrow, this death takes place in the shadow of new life, the sunrise of a new world; a world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human.



Miss Melody Muffin


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the best collection of Spock quotes I have come across yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I had fun putting this post together, albeit tempered with some bittersweetness at the reason for the post.

      Delete
  2. I almost cried when I read that first line. It seems like so many actors Bro and I grew up with (albeit in reruns in some cases) are dying off. *Sniff!*

    Love the Spock quotes! I think he's one of my favorite characters on TOS, partly because of the wry wit behind his logic...and because he seems to be the most mature character on the show. :-P

    God bless,
    ~"Tom"~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.