Thursday, July 16, 2015

Half-Blood: Book Review



Synopsis:
For all his years as a slave, Jace has known nothing but the hatred people hold for his mixed blood—one half human, the other half the blood of a race considered monsters. Always, he is the outsider and quickly learns it is better to keep to himself. But, when his volatile ryrik blood leads him to do the unthinkable, he is thrown into a world of violence and bloodshed.

Forced to become a gladiator, Jace finds more and more of his heart dying as his master works to break down his will not to become the monster everyone believes he is. When a stranger interferes with his master’s harsh punishment, Jace’s world is upended yet again. But with it comes the possibility of hope that has long since died. Could the man possibly hold the key to escaping the hopeless darkness that is Jace’s life? Is there such a thing as life beyond the cruelty of slavery?



My Review:
Not having read any of the Ilyon books, I opened Half-Blood curiously, not knowing what to expect.  This book both satisfied that curiosity and aroused more curiosity about Jace's future.  I look forward to reading the Ilyon Chronicles and learning more about Jace, and what his future holds.

Jace's character was well-written.  I could feel the rage he felt every time his ryrik blood surged.  I also felt his despair at his situation and the see-saw of emotions every time he entered a gladiatorial arena.

Rayad was easily my favorite secondary character.  (I liked him as much as I did Jace.)

The writing style is clear and easily understood.  The horror and almost unimaginable hardships of slavery were accurately portrayed as well as how important just one kind word or act can be.  Jace's friendship with animals, who didn't care who or what he was, helped not only to bring home the pain he lived through day after day, but also showed what kind of a person he was deep inside, underneath the beatings, the fights and the scorn.

The most important message in this book is hope.  Hope that no matter how dark someone's life is or has been, there is still a God who cares.

I recommend Half-Blood if you're looking for clean Christian fantasy or adventure and anyone looking for stories that portray hope even in the darkest of times.   I don't recommend this book for anyone under 16 or for anyone with an aversion to reading about gladiatorial fighting and killing, slavery or violence in general.


I was given a free copy of this book in return for my honest review.  I was not required to write a positive review.



Miss Melody Muffin

3 comments:

  1. You haven't read the other Ilyon books yet????? YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE THEM!! True, I've only read Resistance and Half-Blood, but I devoured those completely and I'm going nuts trying to get my hands onto The King's Scrolls.

    Lovely review, my Aragorn. :)

    Oh, blast... I haven't sent you that email about BoFA yet. I did not anticipate summer being this busy. I'll get on it, no worries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read every scrap of fantasy that Jaye/Molly ;) has written, and it's amazing every bit of it.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for your review and being part of the tour! I'm glad you liked the book, especially since it's the first you've read of Ilyon. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.