Sunday, August 23, 2015

From the Valley of Smoke....

Obviously the weekly updates I was trying for lagged for a few weeks, but I'm back with one today.  The title is because our valley has been filled with smoke being blown in from the wildfires a few hundred miles away.

Last week I...

{wrote}
Ebony and Aubergine
Two random scenes from later in the series, one of which was for the August Quote Queste
Plotted, plotted and further plotted the Lion & Rose series.


{snippet of the week}
    A third woman joined the two speakers.  “Good evening Lady Leyli, Lady Arwa.  You look worried.  I trust your offspring are not the objects of that worry?”
    “Unfortunately, they are,” Leyli’s frown deepened and she called the newcomer’s attention to the mass of people at the back of the room.
    “The sirins are at it again, are they?” Naziha smiled.
    “I was telling Arwa that no one should have that much power in solely their voice,” Leyli absent-mindedly waved her fan in front of her face.
    “They’re young, don’t forget,” Naziha tried to reassure the other two women.
    “That’s what worries me,” Arwa argued.  “Zahira is younger than Faris and Fahd is near the same age.  Yet they wield a power few others do.  It’s bound to ruin them.”
    “And if you do not see it yet, notice how Satha is quieter than usual lately,” Leyli added.
    Naziha knew that Satha’s languor had less to do with her daughter’s sirin power and more to do with what her daughter had been doing lately, but she was not going to tell these women that.
 

{read}
Our Admirable Betty - Jeffery Farnol
Re-read My Lady Caprice - Jefferey Farnol
Re-read a large chunk of Return of the King - J. R. R. Tolkien


{book quote of the week}
Suddenly Faramir stirred, and he opened his eyes, and he looked on Aragorn who bent over him; and a light of knowledge and love was kindled in his eyes, and he spoke softly, "My lord, you called me.  I come.  What does the king command?"
"Walk no more in the shadows, but awake!" said Aragorn.


{listened}
Kpop.  As usual.
Kdrama soundtracks.
LOTR soundtracks.
 

{song of the week}
 

{watched}
Finished You're Beautiful - with Mom and Butterfly
Yae no Sakura - a Japanese drama that takes place in the late-Edo era 
Finished The Time I Loved You - a Korean rom-com


{drama quote of the week}
Even so, the moon has its uses.  Rather than pointlessly brightening up an already bright day, it gives light on a dark night.  Isn't that useful?
~  Go Mi Nam, You're Beautiful


{learned}
Smoke-filled air profoundly irritates sinuses, particularly if one has a sinus infection at the time. 


{anticipated}
 My weekend drama dates with friends.
The weather being cool enough in a few weeks for me to start working with my horse again.


{wished}
That I lived closer to certain friends.  
That my area of the country would be drenched in rain to halt the spread of the wildfires currently raging.


{loved}
Early morning walks by myself where I can mentally prepare myself for the upcoming day and enjoy a few minutes of coolness before the day starts to warm up.


Wishing you all a great week!



Miss Melody Muffin

4 comments:

  1. I like these. XD

    and your snippets, always.

    and you're making me want to read Tolkien...it's been a while since I did that...but I have Musashi pulled up on my computer for as soon as I catch up on my beta-reading...too many books too little time... XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the snippet!! As always.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greeting from the other end of the Valley of Smoke, girlie. *Snort* My ears and throat sympathize with your poor sinuses. Wildfires, great fun. How's about we all pray for rain, wot?

    Hurrah for plotting! Hurrah for writing! Hurrah for...well, anything that gives us joy and comfort. :-D

    God bless,
    ~R

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.