Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Beautiful People: January 2016


http://www.furtherupfurtherin.net/2016/01/beautiful-people-2016-writerly-goals.html


Beautiful People is a monthly link-up for writers, hosted by the fun and fantastic Sky and Cait.  This month's questions are about writing goals for 2016.

1. What were your writing achievements last year?
2015 wasn't my best year as far as writing was concerned.  I made progress on the second draft of Oath of Loyalty, the first drafts of Ebony and Aubergine and To See The Stars, the second draft of Venit Hora, and started several short stories for my siblings.  I also brainstormed several new ideas.

2. Tell us about your top priority writing project for this year?
I have two.  Finishing the first draft of To See The Stars and finishing the second draft of Oath of Loyalty.

3. List 5 areas you'd like to work the hardest to improve this year.
One: develop better self confidence about my own writing, and a clearer perception of what is actually good or bad.
Two: hone my writing for a more concise story flow.
Three: try to write at least one short story.  I'm rubbish at short stories because my comfort zone is the long and complicated type of story.  But this will be good practice for me.
Four: spend more time actually writing, as opposed to hours and hours of world building and plotting.
Five: not stress as much about perfectionism.

4. Are you participating in any writing challenges?
I host a monthly scene challenge on my blog, and sometimes take part in other monthly scene challenges.

5. What's your critique partner/beta situation like and do you have plans to expand this year?
I have a great group of beta readers in the girls of my writing group.  I'd like a few more- to have a more diverse base- so I'll look into that sometime this year.  My mother is a wonderful critique partner and technical editor, I have some fantastic critique partners in my best friends, and my sister is really good at catching spelling and continuity errors.

6. Do you have plans to read any writer-related books this year?  Or are there specific books you want to read for research?
No plans to read any writer-related books right now.  For research, I'm planning on reading The Book of Five Rings and finishing Machiavelli's The Prince for starters.

7. Pick one character you want to get to know better, and how are you going to achieve this?
Ooh, so MANY.  Hmmm, 'Arthur' (his name will change) from Crown of Pendragon.  I'll achieve it by reading even more Arthurian Legend material and just simple plotting of the story.

8. Do you plan to edit or query, and what's your plan of attack?
I'll be editing the second draft of Oath of Loyalty once it's done and then determining if it needs a third draft or not.  I haven't decided yet whether to self publish or try traditional publishing, so I don't know about querying.

9. Toni Morrison once said, "If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it."  What are the books that you want to see more of, and what "holes" do you think need filling in the literary world?
I'm going to be writing a blog post about this topic soon, but in a nutshell, I think there is a lack of diversity in the literary world.  As for books I'd like to see more of: more well written, clean, books dealing with tough issues and showing that even in the dark, there can be hope and light.  I'd also like to see more English language historical fiction about little known historical figures and Asian and Middle Eastern history.

10. What do you hope to have achieved by the end of 2016?
To have Oath of Loyalty published or on the road to being published, to have finished at least 2 more first drafts, and to have a solid plan in place for where I want to go with my writing in the next 3 years.


I've finished the revamp of the page about my writing, so if anyone is curious about what kind of stories I write, you can click the 'My Storyland' tab at the top of the blog.

4 comments:

  1. You're so ambitious :D Good for you. You can totally rock all of your goals. I set a lot of reading and life goals this year - perhaps I should set some writing ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Best of luck on all of your goals, too!

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, I so relate to all your answers for #3! Especially spending more time actually writing, lol. I'm so bad at that.
    Amd I love your answer for #9! I completely agree. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2016, the year for both of us to scale back on the perfection stress and WRITE more. We can do this. :D

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.