Tuesday, January 3, 2017

I Dreamed a Dream of... Publishing

For years my dream was to write unique fiction that broke the mold.  C’mon, what author doesn’t dream of that?

Books that made people THINK.  Books they couldn’t forget because they made them stop and ask themselves hard questions or brought up issues they couldn’t concretely answer without searching their souls.  Books that were rich in world building and had a varied cast of characters that danced across the stage like the Swan Lake ballet.  Historical fiction that inspired the reader with the urge to know more about the history behind the story.  Fantasy that was unique without being uncomfortably weird or mind-numbingly cliche.  Political thrillers that evenly balanced a relatable human approach with the politics.  Thrillers that didn’t sacrifice character development for action.  Stories that combined all of the above.

I still dream that dream and labor to someday attain it.  But now the dream has grown longer, wider, grander.

I dream of an indie publishing company with high standards of quality.  Small, but by no means accepting of lesser quality work simply because it is smaller and independent as opposed to being big and having the traditional label.  A press that holds all its books to a high standard of good writing and editing.

Of uniting independent (and possibly even previously published) authors under an imprint that will come to be known for excellently written fiction with strong ethical and moral themes but without necessarily being ‘Christian’... for the reason that, even though I am a Christian and support literature in which faith plays a huge part, I’ve read several fantastic books that are not overtly Christian and yet had some amazing, thought-provoking moral and ethical questions.  Often, I feel like the label ‘Christian’ on fiction only targets a certain audience and I dream of a wider reach than that.

Themed short story collections, or series of books by different authors but one common theme.  Reviving well written, fascinating historical fiction that doesn’t have to be full of sleaze to engage a reader.  Books that make history live again for people, while presenting an accurate picture of life in that time period.  Fresh retellings of mythology whose tapestries glimmer with the golden thread of the vast history behind various mythologies.  Science fiction and science fantasy that keeps alive in people the hunger to explore the stars themselves.  Fairy tale retellings set in other cultures and unique genres.  Urban fantasy that isn’t the next Twilight or Vampire Diaries or Teen Wolf.  High fantasy that isn’t trying to be Lord of the Rings but that breathes a fantasy world on a grand, epic scale.  Thought provoking psycho thrillers that don’t have to cross the line into horror to make people sit up and take notice.  Historical fantasy that reignites interest in well-known eras.  Political, action, and espionage thrillers that don’t make people’s eyes glaze over three chapters into the book.

In addition to publishing original, new fiction; I dream of republishing some older works from the public domain; there are many books that currently lie under the dust of time but deserve to have a second life being read and appreciated.

I dream of feeding readers with books they’ll love or enjoy while assisting authors to bring the best version of their book to the public.  Beautiful, unique fiction from all genres that engages the mind and soul.

Books that are as sharp as a sword and forged to endure.

19 comments:

  1. "Cause way down deep inside I have a Dream.."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, THANK YOU, now I have that song running through my head.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you all the way on this, sister! (Is it okay that I just adopted you?)

    If there are any ways that I can help you out, let me know. This is actually something I've considered doing myself, but I don't want to deal with the amount of paperwork that it would require. But I've looked into this (and have done the publication spiel on my own multiple times now), so ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! (Adopt away- s'fine with me.)

      I will, and thank you again!

      Delete
  3. This is a noble dream - one I'd love to be a part of ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes, yes to all of this, but especially the last sentence. Well, especially that and the part about making people think. I love it when that happens, and books are a great way of doing that --- and much less stressful, for the introvert, than going out and debating, though that can be fun too. But books are often more successful, for some reason.
    As Keturah said, yours is a noble dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sophia!
      Personally, I think books are more successful at this because books give a person time to absorb and then think, whereas debating is all about preparing but then having to adjust on your feet, basically. :)

      Delete
  5. Girl this is just...just...YES. I can think of no other words. Just YES. TO EVERYTHING. The world desperately needs this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Lauri-girl! I'm glad you like the idea.

      Delete
  6. Seriously awesome!!!! I'm inspired just by reading this! I mean you've described everything I've (or any person) could want in books! I love how your heart is also on bringing on the best in authors!! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you, Faith! I'm glad you were inspired!

      Delete
  7. "I've got a dream!"
    (She's got a dream!)
    "I've got a dream!"
    (She's got a dream!)
    "It's that quality in fiction reigns supreme!
    Not just shoot-'em-ups and drama,
    Or some silly talking llama--
    Like all you lovely folks,
    I've got a dream!"

    (Haha, couldn't resist. ;-D)

    Seriously, though, this all sounds wonderful! The world deserves more well-written, clean, thought-provoking books--stories that stay with the reader and give them food for thought. Characters that feel like real people, and that the readers can relate to and root for. Worlds and themes that capture the imagination and inspire other writers to polish their own craft, or dreamers to take steps toward realizing their dreams.

    God grant you success in your endeavors, m'dear. I'll be praying. Let me know if I can help at all, and I'll see what I can do.

    Love always,
    ~R~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a fantastic re-imagining of that song, Tom!

      Thank you so much, my friend!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.