Saturday, January 7, 2017

Super Secret Project Debut

I've been waiting to announce this project for nine months and the time has finally arrived.

In March of last year I was growing increasingly more frustrated with some indie books I had been reading that frankly, stank.  The plots were good, the characters had potential but the writing was AWFUL.  It was a problem I had been seeing more and more often in the writing world, not just with indie books but also with traditionally published books.

One day, apropos of reading a couple other creative writing websites, I started to think, "If they can do it, why can't I?  They don't have exactly the kind of content I'm envisioning anyway, so why couldn't I try it?  It would be a way to give back to the writing world which has given me so much."  Teaching subjects I love has been a passion of mine for years but until that moment I hadn't actually seriously considered just up and doing it.

When I mentioned this idea to Mirriam- who often had to listen to my venting about bad writing- her response was instantaneous approval and support.  She told me that she'd been thinking for months that I would be good at teaching/coaching creative writing.  Her response blew me away and when I told Kate the idea later that day, I was shocked for the second time when she reacted similarly.

I began scribbling ideas and drafting posts.  Over the summer I chose a website host and discussed graphics.  Slowly but surely my idea began to take shape in reality.

The process wasn't without its hurdles: delays and setbacks in design and strong self-doubts about not actually being good enough or would people listen to me if I didn't have a college degree or an author reputation, to name a few.  Through all of this Mirriam, Kate, my mother, and my sister encouraged me to keep going.

It's been an exciting, sometimes nerve-wracking journey but finally earlier this week, I pushed that big shiny 'PUBLISH' button on this website.

https://intuitivewritingguide.wordpress.com/


Huge, from-the-bottom-of-my-heart thanks go to the people without whom I would not be writing this post:
My mother - who spent hours making all of my graphics and working with me until I liked the results.
Mirriam - who never let me give up and kicked me when persuasion didn't work.
Kate - who was my never failing encouragement and always ready with examples of why I should do this.
My sister Dessa - whose blunt comments about being more than happy to share my teaching abilities with people she thought needed them always made me laugh.
The handful of people who I told beforehand and who said, "Hey, that's great, yes, you should do this!"


I hope you enjoy reading the site and Happy Writing!

4 comments:

  1. You did it! WHOOOOOOOOO!!!
    *Confetti*
    *Pompoms*
    *Happy Pixie Dance*

    Congratulations on realizing a dream, dear friend. God bless you in your efforts, and may they be a blessing to others who truly care about quality in writing. I'm so proud of you! :-D

    Love always,
    BIG FAT HUCKLE-HUGS!!!
    and Happy Tutoring,
    ~R~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, at last! How exciting! :D *goes to check it out*

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAAHHHH. YOU DID IT. AND IT IS BEAUTIFUL. Seriously, I LOVE the look--so crisp and clean and professional.

    I cannot wait to read all your posts! I ADORE writing-help blogs and am always on the look out for new ones, and now my very own Lody has one. *flails* THIS IS SO GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So awesome! Loving your posts so far and can't wait to continue to see all that this new blog will bring. Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.