Thursday, January 12, 2017

What Books I Would Sacrifice....




A couple of weeks ago my sister Dessa read this tag aloud to me from her friend Keturah’s blog, then proceeded to follow it back and hop around to many of the other bloggers who had filled it out and read those aloud.  We laughed, raised shocked eyebrows once (throwing THE HOBBIT at a professor??), and laughed more.  Then Dessa filled it out and tagged me.


https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/00/38/8e/00388eebff3554e2e313af006be2d109.jpg

#1: An Over-Hyped Book
Situation: You are in a bookstore when the zombies attack.  Over the loudspeakers you hear the military announce that over-hyped books are the zombies' only weakness.  What over-hyped book will you chuck at the zombies?
Yeah, I’m with Dessa.  TWILIGHT.  What a travesty to the world of books, and how excruciating to see the effect these have had on the world of teenagers AND the world of writing.


https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/66/be/f0/66bef048c528f22fe9ecb65decbe893a.jpg

#2: A Sequel
Situation: You are caught in a torrential downpour and you're probably the type who melts when you get wet.  What sequel are you willing to use as an umbrella to protect yourself.
Wow, seriously?  Melts in a downpour?  Nothin’ melts me, baby; not even Hades himself!
But for the purposes of the question... Chasing Shadows by Ashley Townsend.  I didn't read the first book, but you can read my review of this one HERE.  It frustrated the tar out of me.


https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51aQGeoveAL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

#3: A Classic
Situation: You're in English class and your professor won't stop going on about a classic that "revolutionized literature".  Personally you think the classic is garbage and you decide to express your opinion by hurling the book at his head.  What classic is that?
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne.  I’d heard it lauded for years and eagerly pounced on it a decade ago at a used book store.  I brought it home, tore into it, was a little disappointed at the beginning but kept going, hoping it would get better....  At the end I closed the cover and stared at it as though I had thought I was opening a box of doughnuts only to find out it was croutons.  WAIT, THAT'S IT???  THAT'S WHAT ALL THE HYPE WAS ABOUT???
It was profoundly disappointing.


https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51i7FeCcZdL._AC_UL320_SR216,320_.jpg

#4: A Least Favorite Book
Situation: You're hanging out at a bookstore (where else would you be?) when global warming somehow manages to to turn the whole world into a frozen wasteland.  Naturally, your only hope of survival is to burn a book.  Which book would you not regret tossing into the fire?
Aside from the illogic of the question.... oh hmmmm.  Lori Wick’s English Garden series.  Mind. Numbingly. Stupid.
Also, one of the main reasons I almost never read Christian romance anymore.


https://images.moviepilot.com/images/c_limit,q_auto,w_710/py477jxtkph7cahhthcs/all-shadowhunter-books-upcoming-projects.jpg

#5: A Series
Situation: There's a flooded stream you have to cross on your quest and you can't get your feet wet.  Which series (oh yeah, btw, you brought your whole bookshelf and also probably local library with you) will you use as stepping stones?
The Mortal Instruments.  Gosh, that series’ poor writing made me so mad, especially given the fact that it could have been fantastic had Clare put as much focus on the mythological aspects and worldbuilding as she did the ridiculous, soap opera teen drama.  Seeing these books drown after I had crossed a swollen stream on them would do my heart good.


I tag Mirriam, Kate (when she starts blogging again), Elijah David, Tom, Jessica, Kiri Liz, and Carolyn... plus anyone else who wants to answer.

What books would YOU sacrifice?  Take the tag off to your own blog or tell me in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. Ah! I fully agree with you sister!! Did you hear what we were calling The Visitor while we were using it in journals last year? It was "Dumb Book" and that one mom picked up somewhere was "Weird Book". It was fun to call it that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here you go!

    http://elijahdavidauthor.blogspot.com/2017/01/book-sacrifice-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did it!

    http://wildroseleblonde.blogspot.com/2017/01/prepare-sacrifice-wait-what.html

    This was fun. :-D Thanks for the tag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, this is great! And oh my word, the Lori Wick series is there! YES, I SO AGREE WITH THAT CHOICE! I understand fully why those books would ruin you from reading Christian romance, lol. I will say that the Christian romance section has gotten WAY better... but you still have to hunt because you will find books just like that; mind numbingly stupid.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

If you are commenting as Anonymous or Unknown, please leave your name in your comment.