"Not alone. Rohirrim! TO THE KING!"
DAY FOUR ~ FAVORITE SCENE
Waaahhhh, how to choose???
Lord of the Rings is chock full of EPIC scenes. But, it also has its share of quieter, poignant or somber scenes that are just as important as the bigger, grander scenes.
If I absolutely had to choose one from among my favorite scenes, one of the scenes I watch and/or read more than others, is the Council of Elrond.
I've seen the movie version of this scene at least 50 times (I might be approaching 75 now). It is one of the scenes that combines epic, grand, sweeping, poignant, and amusing into one.
What I love about this scene is how it is made up of smaller moments- important in and of themselves- that then combine to make the overall, bigger scene.
For example, the scene within a scene when Legolas tells Boromir of Aragorn's identity. I think it beautifully illustrates the relationship between Aragorn and Legolas. When Boromir scornfully asks, "And what would a Ranger know of such a matter?" Legolas comes instantly to his feet, "This is no mere ranger. He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance." In that moment, Legolas is not only defending his friend, he is declaring to the world Aragorn's lineage and his rightful heritage, and his own support of Aragorn.
Someday I will write an entire post on Aragorn and Legolas' friendship. But, right now, I have not the time. *sigh* That, people, is what happens when you overload your metaphorical plate the way I do mine. :D
Here is the whole scene of the Council from the movie:
- Elrond: Strangers from distant lands, friends of old, you have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor. Middle Earth stands upon the brink of destruction; none can escape it. You will unite or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate, this one doom. Bring forth the Ring, Frodo.
- [Frodo puts the Ring on a stand for all to see]
- Boromir: So it is true. [Stands and walks towards the Ring] In a dream, I saw the Eastern sky grow dark. But in the West, a pale light lingered. A voice was crying, "The doom is near at hand, Isildur's Bane is found." [Reaches for the Ring] Isildur's Bane...
- Elrond: Boromir!
- Gandalf: [Speaking the words engraved on the Ring] Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul!
- [The light darkens and the air rumbles; Boromir backs away from the Ring]
- Elrond: Never before has anyone dared utter words of that tongue here, in Imladris.
- Gandalf: I do not ask for pardon, Master Elrond, for the Black Speech of Mordor may yet be heard in every corner of the West! The Ring is altogether evil.
- Boromir: But it is a gift. A gift to the foes of Mordor. Why not use this Ring? Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor, kept the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe! Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy! Let us use it against him!
- Strider: You cannot wield it. None of us can. The One Ring answers to Sauron alone. It has no other master.
- Boromir: And what would a Ranger know of this matter?
- Legolas: This is no mere Ranger. He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance.
- Boromir: Aragorn? This is Isildur's heir?
- Legolas: And heir to the throne of Gondor.
- Strider: [in Elvish] "Sit down, Legolas."
- Boromir: Gondor has no King. Gondor needs no King.
- Gandalf: Aragorn is right. We cannot use it.
- Elrond: You have only one choice. The Ring must be destroyed.
- Gimli: Then what are we waiting for?
- [He roars and strikes the Ring with his axe; the axe breaks, leaving the Ring perfectly intact]
- Elrond: The Ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Gloin, by any craft that we here possess. The Ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came! One of you... must do this.
- Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its black gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep. The Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire, ash, and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly!
- Legolas: Have you heard nothing Lord Elrond has said? The Ring must be destroyed!
- Gimli: And I suppose you think you're the one to do it?!
- Boromir: And if we fail, what then?! What happens when Sauron takes back what is his?!
- Gimli: I will be dead before I see the Ring in the hands of an Elf! [The council argue amongst themselves] Never trust an Elf!
- Gandalf: Do you not understand?! While you bicker amongst yourselves, Sauron's power grows! None will escape it! You'll all be destroyed!
- [As Frodo focuses on the Ring, everyone's arguing voices are drowned out by Sauron's voice reciting the Ring's inscription. Frodo gets to his feet]
- Frodo: I will take it! [All continue to argue] I will take it! [All fall silent] I will take the Ring to Mordor. Though... I do not know the way.
- Gandalf: I will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins, for as long as it is yours to bear.
- Aragorn: If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
- Legolas: And you have my bow.
- Gimli: And my axe.
- Boromir: You carry the fate of us all, little one. If this is indeed the will of the Council, then Gondor will see it done.
- [Sam rushes in]
- Sam: Hey! Mr. Frodo's not going anywhere without me!
- Elrond: No, indeed. It is hardly possible to separate you, even when he is summoned to a secret council and you are not.
- Merry: We're coming, too! [Elrond looks astounded] You'd have to send us home tied up in a sack to stop us!
- Pippin: Anyway, you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission... quest... thing.
- Merry: That rules you out, Pippin.
- Elrond: Nine companions. So be it. You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring.
- Pippin: Great! Where are we going?
This challenge is hard, because it forces me to choose from among my many favorites, but I am LOVING it. Are you all enjoying it so far?
For more information about the Middle Earth Challenge, including how to join in, go HERE.
Miss Melody Muffin