It does seem a little hard to believe that it is 2014 already... although I feel more prepared for the new year this time than I did when it turned 2013.
As usual, my family stayed up until midnight to see in the new year. The younger children watched Thomas the Train Engine and Curious George while Mom and we older girls watched both the 1934 and the 1982 Scarlet Pimpernel movies. I had seen both before, more than once, but Mom and the girls hadn't, so it was fantastic watching their reactions to the wonderful world of Anthony Andrews, Ian McKellen and Jane Seymour in my favorite film version of Orczy's iconic hero, as well as the 1934 version, which they join me in agreeing was not as good as the 1982.
I was reading this poem earlier and it fitly describes my mood today, looking forward joyously to what this year will bring.
Ring Out, Wild Bells
Alfred, Lord Tennyson
- Ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky,
- The flying cloud, the frosty light
- The year is dying in the night;
- Ring out, wild bells, and let him die.
- Ring out the old, ring in the new,
- Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
- The year is going, let him go;
- Ring out the false, ring in the true.
- Ring out the grief that saps the mind,
- For those that here we see no more,
- Ring out the feud of rich and poor,
- Ring in redress to all mankind.
- Ring out a slowly dying cause,
- And ancient forms of party strife;
- Ring in the nobler modes of life,
- With sweeter manners, purer laws.
- Ring out the want, the care, the sin,
- The faithless coldness of the times;
- Ring out, ring out thy mournful rhymes,
- But ring the fuller minstrel in.
- Ring out false pride in place and blood,
- The civic slander and the spite;
- Ring in the love of truth and right,
- Ring in the common love of good.
- Ring out old shapes of foul disease,
- Ring out the narrowing lust of gold;
- Ring out the thousand wars of old,
- Ring in the thousand years of peace.
- Ring in the valiant man and free,
- The larger heart the kindlier hand;
- Ring out the darkness of the land,
- Ring in the Christ that is to be.
How many of you stayed up until midnight?
May you all have a wonderful new year, my friends!!!!!!
Miss Melody Muffin